Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > General Science Questions and Layperson Board > Zoology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Zoology Forum Discuss and Talk about Zoology and Zoology Protocols and Techniques.

Butterfly Behavior

Butterfly Behavior - Zoology Forum

Butterfly Behavior - Discuss and Talk about Zoology and Zoology Protocols and Techniques.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 04:52 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Butterfly Behavior

Yes, I'm trying to find out why a monarch butterfly either bit me or intentionally punctured my skin..yet, all the information available in this regard suggests that butterflies do not bite.

There are two types of these monarch butterflies where I live. One is the standard rich colored orange with black border highlights in wing. The other kind is identical except the color is pail yellow...not orange.

For some reason these bugs from time to time will behave in a way which clearly an attempt to get my attention. Drawing closer and closer as she thinks I am of no threat. One time, I decided to talk nicely to the bug sitting outside. In time an hour or so she seemed to come very close and so forth.

I went in for lunch and returned an hour later and found this butterfly basically waiting for me. As the afternoon went along, she decided to come and sit on my hand. Within about 10 seconds she either bit or punctured my skin imparting a depth which felt about at least an 1/8 of inch or so.

Hugely curious about this as the season is now out for the butterfly's again and they are back at trying to get my attention with their behavior. Always just one...not groups or anything....very curious about this....thankyou for any prof or knowledgeable info.....have a great day to be sure !

Tags
behavior , butterfly