My 7 lb yorkie came across a fat frog in my yard, he was after it, and must have licked/mouthed it. Immediately, he started vomiting/frothing at the mouth/ crying/couldn't stand up. I called the er vet, and they said to wash his mouth out with water, but don't let him swallow it..??
He was in so much distress, that his mouth was open, tongue out, very red/purple, so I was able to use the sprayer in my kitchen sink.
I then called the vet back, and they said if he does not recover very soon, to bring him in. The poison from the frog causes a dog to hallucinate. spikes a high fever, and can result in convulsions...My dog was really poisoned, and I thought I was going to lose him, after awhile he could stand again, and I kept trying to wash out his mouth. He recovered, I will not let him out in the backyard at night as long as these frogs are around...I do not know how they get in my yard, I have a picket fence, w/ stones etc at the bottom,because my dog is so small. My yard is all gravel.
Warning, these toads can kill a dog... He must have been crying and flattened to the ground because of the hallucinogenic affect
It was a horrible experience, I thought my dog was going to die, and the effect from the frog was immediate.