Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > General Science Questions and Layperson Board > Zoology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Zoology Forum Discuss and Talk about Zoology and Zoology Protocols and Techniques.

About frogs and dogs?

About frogs and dogs? - Zoology Forum

About frogs and dogs? - Discuss and Talk about Zoology and Zoology Protocols and Techniques.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default About frogs and dogs?

My 7 lb yorkie came across a fat frog in my yard, he was after it, and must have licked/mouthed it. Immediately, he started vomiting/frothing at the mouth/ crying/couldn't stand up. I called the er vet, and they said to wash his mouth out with water, but don't let him swallow it..??
He was in so much distress, that his mouth was open, tongue out, very red/purple, so I was able to use the sprayer in my kitchen sink.
I then called the vet back, and they said if he does not recover very soon, to bring him in. The poison from the frog causes a dog to hallucinate. spikes a high fever, and can result in convulsions...My dog was really poisoned, and I thought I was going to lose him, after awhile he could stand again, and I kept trying to wash out his mouth. He recovered, I will not let him out in the backyard at night as long as these frogs are around...I do not know how they get in my yard, I have a picket fence, w/ stones etc at the bottom,because my dog is so small. My yard is all gravel.
Warning, these toads can kill a dog... He must have been crying and flattened to the ground because of the hallucinogenic affect
It was a horrible experience, I thought my dog was going to die, and the effect from the frog was immediate.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1

Default Re: About frogs and dogs?

It sounds as if your dog has encountered a cane toad. They are highly toxic and produce a thick yellow goo through the glands in their skin. If ingested it causes symptoms like the ones you have discribed. They are a quick breeding species and have a habit of invading new countries and breeding to the point where they can be considered a plague.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
It sounds as if your dog has encountered a cane toad. They are highly toxic and produce a thick yellow goo through the glands in their skin. If ingested it causes symptoms like the ones you have discribed. They are a quick breeding species and have a habit of invading new countries and breeding to the point where they can be considered a plague.
There are also other types of frogs that lives on muddy places and sometimes lives or likes staying on banana trees (yes, banana trees) that has the same venom or poison on their skin. I had the same struggle when my dog toys a frog by tossing it (He don't like their taste) but accidentally he bit one of it(then same things happen; fever, etc.). So, since I don't know what to do. I thought of giving him sugar (we all know that sugar sometimes helps poisoned patients), though it's proven to human only, I still tried to used it. And i think it helps. We didn't go and consult any vet after that.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by melindaregner View Post
There are also other types of frogs that lives on muddy places and sometimes lives or likes staying on banana trees (yes, banana trees) that has the same venom or poison on their skin. I had the same struggle when my dog toys a frog by tossing it (He don't like their taste) but accidentally he bit one of it(then same things happen; fever, etc.). So, since I don't know what to do. I thought of giving him sugar (we all know that sugar sometimes helps poisoned patients), though it's proven to human only, I still tried to used it. And i think it helps. We didn't go and consult any vet after that.
Really? I didn't know that. And it didn't even come into my mind even a single time. I have not yet experience any of these with my dog. I'd try to ask my vet, just in case anything happens to my german shorthaired pointer.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

Default Re:Question for allergy test in my dog??..

Hi Has anyone every heard of ImmuneIQ test for allergies in dogs? I read about it in animal wellness article but didn't know if anyone here has used it. Thanks!
If anyone has purchased the immuneIQ test for dog allergies, please tell me what you thought of it. Did it work?

Tags
dogs , frogs , _