Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > General Science Questions and Layperson Board > Zoology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Zoology Forum Discuss and Talk about Zoology and Zoology Protocols and Techniques.

There are wild solitary bees living in holes in the wood around an outside door.

There are wild solitary bees living in holes in the wood around an outside door. - Zoology Forum

There are wild solitary bees living in holes in the wood around an outside door. - Discuss and Talk about Zoology and Zoology Protocols and Techniques.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default There are wild solitary bees living in holes in the wood around an outside door.

How do I ATTRACT more of them? They are the ONLY bees I have seen all year. They look kinda like small, dark, smoother bumblebees. They move kinda slowly. They certainly don't bother anyone or anything. I like them! How do I attract more of them?
Pipette Filler
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1

Leaving them alone would probably be the best way to attract them.

They do not hive like other bees, that is they have only a loose association with others. Quite a few might inhabit your house, if you let them, but they will have separate chambers/nests.

Note 1): There is a destructive bee called a 'Carpenter' bee that looks like a bumblebee except the yellow is not as bright and the abdomen has no color or hairs. The females will attack and kill bumblebees but ignore humans. They tunnel into the wood of the house to build nests. Males act as lookouts at the corners of the house. The lookout will hover until they see any intruder insect - they will attack that insect then return. The males/lookouts cannot sting you. These are not good guys and I suspect that's what you have.

Note 2): I have seen two houses with honeybee nests. One was abandoned and had a huge nest. The other is a house of mine that the tenant has allowed them to enter the wall from an outside hole. These need to be discouraged also but should not be destroyed as bees are in worldwide decline to the detriment of food crops everywhere. They are the main source of pollination. Honeybees are small yellow bees.
Pipette Filler
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1

Leaving them alone would probably be the best way to attract them.

They do not hive like other bees, that is they have only a loose association with others. Quite a few might inhabit your house, if you let them, but they will have separate chambers/nests.

Note 1): There is a destructive bee called a 'Carpenter' bee that looks like a bumblebee except the yellow is not as bright and the abdomen has no color or hairs. The females will attack and kill bumblebees but ignore humans. They tunnel into the wood of the house to build nests. Males act as lookouts at the corners of the house. The lookout will hover until they see any intruder insect - they will attack that insect then return. The males/lookouts cannot sting you. These are not good guys and I suspect that's what you have.

Note 2): I have seen two houses with honeybee nests. One was abandoned and had a huge nest. The other is a house of mine that the tenant has allowed them to enter the wall from an outside hole. These need to be discouraged also but should not be destroyed as bees are in worldwide decline to the detriment of food crops everywhere. They are the main source of pollination. Honeybees are small yellow bees.

Tags
bees , door , holes , living , solitary , wild , wood , _