Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Animal and Molecular Model Systems > Yeast Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Yeast Forum Discuss research on yeast the model organism. Post questions and topics on the molecular biology and genetics of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and other yeast species.

Yeast - in food questions about

Yeast - in food questions about - Yeast Forum

Yeast - in food questions about - Discuss research on yeast the model organism. Post questions and topics on the molecular biology and genetics of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and other yeast species.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 424, Level: 8 Points: 424, Level: 8 Points: 424, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Yeast - in food questions about

I am not a microbiologist, but I know someone will understand my simple and possibly dum questions. I am allergic to brewers and bakers yeast.

I would love some understanding on the following:

Does yeast die at high temperatures? (example: if I use vinegar in a boiled broth/soup does the yeast die?)

Is yeast active after being backed in bread?

Naturally fermented vegetables with lactic acid, and fermented via lactic acid and lactobacillus bacteria - will there be yeast in it?

Since I am allergic to yeast, woudl this mean that I would be allergic to the a bacterial yeast strain too? (saccharomyces genus)

What other factors would kill yeast? Temperature? pH? UV?

If the yeast die and the condition becomes favorable one again (ie, temperature, food source.. etc) would the yeast again proliferate?

From what I understand, yeast ceases to proliferate and exist in environments that have an ethanol content of more than 15% (alcohol above 15% like brandy, rum,.. etc). True or False? Would someone allergic to yeast react to brandy for example?

Off the wall question. Candida albicans is also a fungus. Does it eat yeast as a food source? What is their relationship and some information about how they coexist (do they help each other?)

Thank you very much for any help here. The medical professionals who gave me this information about my allergy are complete idiots and were unable to answer a single question!

Krista
Old 07-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Yeast - in food questions about

Hello Krista,
i am not sure i can answer all your questions but if you are allergic to a yeast molecule such as a protein yeast allergen, then baking it would just kill the yeast but the protein would still remain there (and you would still get allergies to it).

One question: what symptoms do you get when you eat yeast bread? Also have you been diagnosed by a doctor for yeast allergies ( by a test?) because many people have Coeliac an immune reaction against gluten (possible you may have coeliac or similar)?
Old 07-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Pipette Filler

I have been tested.
The test came back positive for bakers and brewers yeast allergy.
I found this a bit vague. I am not sure if it is the protein I am allergic to or if it is the

I don't eat bread, but I asked the question to try and understand more completely what happens to yeast when high temperatures.

Does this mean that if I cultured for example kefir, that even if the kefir were heated and the yeast culture killed, that the protein of the yeast would remain?

If there is yeast is there always a yeast protein? Or is it possible to have a cultured yeast with no protein?
That might sound dum, but I am not sure. For example. We take apple cider which has no yeast. We allow it to ferment for 6 months into a cider vinegar. The ACV has yeast in it, but didn't start with it. If the ACV is heated and the yeast killed, does the yeast protein remain even though there wasn't any yeast in the apple cider?... before it became a vinegar?

I appreciate your help here.
Are all probiotics and bacteria "proteins"?
Are fungus' proteins?
Old 07-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Pipette Filler

The lab did give me information that vinegar, beer, wine and any other "undistilled" alcohols were not good for me,.. but that distilled thigns like vodka, brandy.. etc were okay.

Based on the "yeast protein" theory.. that the yeast dies but leaves the protein. This doesn't make sense either because brandy is distilled wine....? So wouldn't the yeast protein still be there?!.. even if it wasn't alive?

Tags
food , questions , yeast