Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science > Western Blot Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Western Blot Forum Discuss western blotting and immunoblot in the western blot forum discussion board. Ask Questions about transfers, blocking, membrane antibody incubation and exposures.

SDS gel casting problem

SDS gel casting problem - Western Blot Forum

SDS gel casting problem - Discuss western blotting and immunoblot in the western blot forum discussion board. Ask Questions about transfers, blocking, membrane antibody incubation and exposures.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default SDS gel casting problem

Hi everyone,

I am new at this forum so let me know if I should change anything in my post.

In our lab we cast our own gels (yes, i know). We havent had any problem until a couple of weeks ago. Our gels started to separate (yes, literally) once we took the comb out. Our main problem is that our gels separate from the glass walls. We used to take out the comb under the water tap and everything worked fine but the gels never separated and the wells were perfectly aligned and straight but now we get some ondulatory wells and the gel separating a bit from one of the walls.
The feeling when we take the comb out is that it is much more strongly joint to the gels than it used to be.

We have neither changed the proportions nor the reactives. We use the same stuff but our gels do not react the same way.
First we thought it was the APS but we changed it immediately.
Things we have done
1)Changed every single solution/ingredient step by step
2)Cast the gels in another lab

Our next try will be to get everything from another lab and try to cast the gels in our lab.
Anyone that has had this kind of problem or similar?
Do you know wether the electrophoresis will be affected if a slight part of the stacking gel is separated from the glass wall (roughly 3-4 mm)??

Please, any help will be very much appreciated

many thanks in advance