Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science > Western Blot Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Western Blot Forum Discuss western blotting and immunoblot in the western blot forum discussion board. Ask Questions about transfers, blocking, membrane antibody incubation and exposures.

Why would b-actin run differently using the same lysate but on a different gel?

Why would b-actin run differently using the same lysate but on a different gel? - Western Blot Forum

Why would b-actin run differently using the same lysate but on a different gel? - Discuss western blotting and immunoblot in the western blot forum discussion board. Ask Questions about transfers, blocking, membrane antibody incubation and exposures.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2,276, Level: 30 Points: 2,276, Level: 30 Points: 2,276, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question Why would b-actin run differently using the same lysate but on a different gel?

I solubilized rat brain tissue using the Ambion PARIS kit according to their protocol. I ran 20ug of protein on a 10% gel, transferred to pvdf, etc. I first probed for phospho-jnk, then stripped the membrane using Abcam's recipe (SDS, Tris, BME), reprobed for total jnk, stripped again, and reprobed for b-actin (Thermofisher). No issues whatsoever. Great b-actin band in the right place, about 42kDa.

I then took the same lysates, load 20ug of protein onto each of 2 gels (12% this time), transferred to pvdf, etc., and then probed 1 for p-jnk and 1 for p-erk. I stripped them both, probed for total jnk and total erk, stripped again and probed both for b-actin (same dilution). This time b-actin shows up faintly around 42kDa but also has a much bolder band around 50-52kDa on both membranes. Can anyone tell me why this would happen? The only change was from a 10% to a 12% gel, as far as I know. I considered that perhaps there was ineffective stripping but that 50kDa band was not present previously on the ERK blots. Could something have gone wrong in the preparation for loading the samples? Can lysate taken from tissue rather than cells be unpredictable? I have used this same b-actin antibody before quite successfully with endothelial cells. Please advise. Thank you!

Last edited by pooderpops; 07-17-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Tags
actin , bactin , brain tissue , differently , gel , lysate , run , western blot , wrong band size