Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science > Western Blot Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Western Blot Forum Discuss western blotting and immunoblot in the western blot forum discussion board. Ask Questions about transfers, blocking, membrane antibody incubation and exposures.

Loading problems - please help

Loading problems - please help - Western Blot Forum

Loading problems - please help - Discuss western blotting and immunoblot in the western blot forum discussion board. Ask Questions about transfers, blocking, membrane antibody incubation and exposures.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 252, Level: 5 Points: 252, Level: 5 Points: 252, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Loading problems - please help

Hi! I have several years of experience with Western blot and have recently developed issues with variable protein loading.

Briefly, I am using lysates from cultured cells using either a RIPA buffer or a tris-based lysis buffer for phospho-proteins. I am using pre-cast gels and buffers (invitrogen). I have used both a Bradford (Bio-Rad) and Lowry (homemade buffers) for protein determination and run my standards and samples in duplicate so I can average the results. I don't think I am losing the sample during loading as I have not previous had this problem and think my technique is okay.

One big change in my method has been the preparation and reading of the protein concentration. I was preparing my Bradford samples in disposable cuvettes for a spectrophotometer that broke a while back. I adapted the protocol and now prepare the samples in microfuge tubes, place samples into wells on a standard 96 well plate and read the results on a Polar star Omega plate reader.

I can't identify any obvious problems, but my tubulin control blots are ugly and show clear differences in between lanes.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
KiKi

Tags
loading , problems