Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science > Western Blot Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Western Blot Forum Discuss western blotting and immunoblot in the western blot forum discussion board. Ask Questions about transfers, blocking, membrane antibody incubation and exposures.

The effect of pH on buffers

The effect of pH on buffers - Western Blot Forum

The effect of pH on buffers - Discuss western blotting and immunoblot in the western blot forum discussion board. Ask Questions about transfers, blocking, membrane antibody incubation and exposures.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 772, Level: 15 Points: 772, Level: 15 Points: 772, Level: 15
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default The effect of pH on buffers

Hi all, sorry to be peppering this forum with questions.

My colleague and I were wondering what problems might happen from buffers that have an improper pH, and how close to the desired pH one must be before those problems don't happen.

For instance, he was a full point off(!) when he created his TBS10x buffer, and by extension, at least a full point off when he did TBS-T1x. The reason is, is that our water is highly basic. The desired pH was 7.6 and he was at 8.6. He got no signal when he ran his western blots. I was theorizing that perhaps the additional negative charge my alter the shape of the proteins, inhibiting the binding of the antibody to the active site. That would mean that monoclonal antibodies would be different from polyclonal, so maybe that answer is wrong.

Anyways, how close should you be with buffers? 0.1, 0.01? I made it and I'm .04 off - more acidic, I think that's acceptable though as I'll be diluting it with that basic water.

Do you know what mechanism the pH of buffers affects the western blot process, and how close we must be with them?

THanks

Tags
buffers , effect