Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science > Western Blot Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Western Blot Forum Discuss western blotting and immunoblot in the western blot forum discussion board. Ask Questions about transfers, blocking, membrane antibody incubation and exposures.

Problem- same bands every time

Problem- same bands every time - Western Blot Forum

Problem- same bands every time - Discuss western blotting and immunoblot in the western blot forum discussion board. Ask Questions about transfers, blocking, membrane antibody incubation and exposures.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 02:46 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2,004, Level: 28 Points: 2,004, Level: 28 Points: 2,004, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Problem- same bands every time

Hello
i am performing western blotting since past 4 months, but till now i am not confident with the results i am getting because of the following reasons-

1] previously i use to use 1.5M TRIS pH 6.8 and 1.5M TRIS pH 8.8 for stacking and running gel respectively but every time the gel was having some fibrous projections at the wells which use to prevent the proper loading, as a result one of the seniors here recommended to use 1M TRIS pH 7.4 and 1M TRIS pH 8.9 for stacking and running gels respectively. the gels are fine now but i dont know weather it is a good way or not.

2] i always check bactin for calibrating if equal amount of protein is been loaded and followed by other antibodies. But what i observe recently is, even after removing the prior ab by streaping solution, and performing all the steps for further ab i am getting same kind of band, with same intensity and everything same.
i reuse one blot atleast at a time diff of 12 hours to make sure that the band intensity is not repeated.

I will be very thankful for your kind comments on these kind of problems.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:23 AM
Volunteer
Points: 960, Level: 17 Points: 960, Level: 17 Points: 960, Level: 17

Default Re: Problem- same bands every time

Hola, for the first question if the changes were checked before by your supervisor and you are satisfied with the results, probably were good, dont mind. The second seems that the stripping isnt not effective at all , because its extrange that the blocker or the second ab reacts with any band. Im enought sure that if after blocking you incubate for first time the WB with the second ab and developes it no band you will see so the first ab strongly bound to the persistent bands, so it would be necessary to do a more efficient stripping with a bit more temperature and time. I used 20 min at 50C with rocking, and probably 25x55 could run, unless some of the trasferred protein could be unbounded. Buena suerte
Old 02-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Pipette Filler

thanks for your comments, i generally perform stripping at 37 degrees for 30 mins. I hope it would be better to check if the stripping is happening correctly by -
stripping--> washing --> secondary ab -->washing -->substrate and anti-antibody.
if there is any un removed primary ab then it should show band. Please let me know your comments.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Volunteer
Points: 960, Level: 17 Points: 960, Level: 17 Points: 960, Level: 17

Hola, I thing that this T is quite low. Try to do at 50 20min saking. To check is the stripping is effective , after washing stripping sol, first blocking, washes- 2nd anntibodi-HRP. washes developpimg. Buen da
The Following User Says Thank You to protolder For This Useful Post:
thebadman (02-24-2011)
Old 02-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Pipette Filler

thanks a lot, i will try to perform this.

Tags
bands , problem , time