Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science > Western Blot Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Western Blot Forum Discuss western blotting and immunoblot in the western blot forum discussion board. Ask Questions about transfers, blocking, membrane antibody incubation and exposures.

Centrifuge after sonication

Centrifuge after sonication - Western Blot Forum

Centrifuge after sonication - Discuss western blotting and immunoblot in the western blot forum discussion board. Ask Questions about transfers, blocking, membrane antibody incubation and exposures.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 501, Level: 10 Points: 501, Level: 10 Points: 501, Level: 10
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Centrifuge after sonication

Hi everyone,

I collect whole hippocampi from mice then sonicate the samples in a lysis buffer which contains 50 mM Tris (pH 7.4), 1 mM EDTA, 1 mM EGTA, 1% SDS, and a protein/phosphatase inhibitor cocktail. I've seen some protocols which then suggest to centrifuge the samples after sonication. I was wondering what was the purpose of centrifuging the samples after sonication? I was hoping that the community here at Molecular Station would be able to provide me as much information/answers as possible. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 324, Level: 6 Points: 324, Level: 6 Points: 324, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: Centrifuge after sonication

As far as I know, Lysis buffer is going to break cell wall, so DNA will be free and then, it will be sonicated. The spin after sonication is usually a high-speed centrifugation during few minutes, which allows to precipitate all debris of your samples. It's like the last step to discard organelles, cell wall, etc.
If you want, you can add another step. After centrigufation, you can filter the sonicated sample through 45um syringe or miracloth membrane to get a clean lysate.

I hope it would be useful!

Tags
centrifuge , sonication