Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science > Western Blot Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Western Blot Forum Discuss western blotting and immunoblot in the western blot forum discussion board. Ask Questions about transfers, blocking, membrane antibody incubation and exposures.

Dot instead of a band on precast gel (running funny!)

Dot instead of a band on precast gel (running funny!) - Western Blot Forum

Dot instead of a band on precast gel (running funny!) - Discuss western blotting and immunoblot in the western blot forum discussion board. Ask Questions about transfers, blocking, membrane antibody incubation and exposures.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Unhappy Dot instead of a band on precast gel (running funny!)

I have a preculiar problem with samples running weird on my gel...precast Invitrogen gels (gradient 4-12%, 12-15 wells). My samples are protein derived from tissue or cells. I use Mops buffer for running. While running the samples I notice that instead of horizontal line there is a wave and some lanes have formed a mountain-like structure and are not running right. At the end of the blotting, post-antibody staining, these lanes look like a dot instead of a band at expected size. I don't know what is happening and it is always different samples. Tried changing a lot of stuff but I wish I knew what this was because of. I am not the only one in lab who is having this issue and we've been through numerous gels and samples because of this mysterious problem.

Please help! PLEASE!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Nobel Laureate
Points: 8,612, Level: 64 Points: 8,612, Level: 64 Points: 8,612, Level: 64

Default Re: Dot instead of a band on precast gel (running funny!)

It's likely the buffer or protein concentration is too high.
Can you change out of MOPS?
I never use it, Tris-HCl gels and TGS buffer, works for every application I've encountered so far.
Are your gels Bis-tris and specifically for MOPS? did you also get the MOPS from Invitrogen (like --> [Only registered users see links. ] if not does it contain SDS?

Lastly, make sure the gel isn't expired.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Volunteer
Points: 667, Level: 13 Points: 667, Level: 13 Points: 667, Level: 13

I just had this effect on a gel today on a 0.8% agarose gel in TAE w/EtBr the first ladder looks fine but as you go across the gel the bands begin peaking to look almost like the Atari logo.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

I am having this same problem as well. I also use the invitrogen precast gels (brand new) and invitrogen MOPS running buffer. I am certain it is not a buffer problem because my protein ladder always runs fine. It has to be the sample for some reason. I load my gels at about 40ug protein per well (I know this is on the high end but it shouldn't be an issue). This problem has been haunting me for a while now and I can't get rid of it. It seems to happen every other time I run a gel. I have tried adjusting my cell lysis conditions (more/less stringent wash, more/less sonication, more/less spin steps) but nothing is fixing the problem. I also have had this problem with homemade RIPA buffer, thermo-brand RIPA buffer as well as another lysis buffer recipe that I found. I am out of ideas...

Tags
band , dot , funny , gel , precast , running