Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Cell Biology and Cell Culture > Transfection Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transfection Forum Transfection Forum. Cell transfection discussion including stable cells transfection, transient transfection. Troubleshooting and posting of discussions on lipofection, and reagents: Fugene, lipofectamine, and others.

HMEC-1 stable transfection: blasticidin resistance?

HMEC-1 stable transfection: blasticidin resistance? - Transfection Forum

HMEC-1 stable transfection: blasticidin resistance? - Transfection Forum. Cell transfection discussion including stable cells transfection, transient transfection. Troubleshooting and posting of discussions on lipofection, and reagents: Fugene, lipofectamine, and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2,167, Level: 29 Points: 2,167, Level: 29 Points: 2,167, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default HMEC-1 stable transfection: blasticidin resistance?

Hi everybody!
I tried to stabelly transfect HMEC-1 cells (a human microvascular endothelial cell line) with a retroviral vector containing the blasticidin resistance gene, but the negative control survived selection. Do HMEC-1 already have blasticin resistance? I couldn't find anything about it in the literature, so I thought maybe someone on this forum might be able to help.....please?
Old 07-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

Default Re: HMEC-1 stable transfection: blasticidin resistance?

Hi,

I saw your post asking about the blasticidin resistance of HMEC-1 cells. As I'm planning on using these in a couple of weeks (with a vector that has a blasticidin resistance gene), I was wondering whether you had solved your problem? If so, could you tell me which concentration of antibiotic you use? I will still titrate this for my cells, but at least then I know an approximate value to start from.

Thanks,
dpo
Old 07-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2,167, Level: 29 Points: 2,167, Level: 29 Points: 2,167, Level: 29

Hi!

No, I have not found a solution to the problem. I have, however, meanwhile contacted the group which first immortalized them and atthey told me that they didn't use blasticin-selection, so in principle the cell line should not be resistant.

The only advice I can give you is to start pretty high!

If you find a suitable concentration in your titration experiments, would you mind telling me (I would repeat the titration anyway)?

Regards,

kraefzke

Last edited by kraefzke; 07-26-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1

Damn, I was hoping that you had found a solution. Anyway, I will start my titration at the end of this week, so hopefully I will have an answer by the end of next week. I'll keep you updated!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1

So, I added the antibiotic on Sunday and checked the cells today. In the well with 4 g/ml there were just a few cells left, but in the well with 6 g/ml, everything was dead. So I will use this concentration to select my transduced cells.

The blasticidin I used is from Invitrogen, dissolved in distilled water at 5 mg/ml. The HMEC cells were directly obtained from the people who published them (several years ago). I would recommend testing your cells again and simultaneously try out your blasticidin on a cell line for which you know it is sensitive to blasticidin.

In case you would want to change antibiotic, I also tested for puromycin resistance and, similar to a lot of publications, the cells are all dead after four days with 250 ng/ml.

Good luck!

Tags
blasticidin , hmec1 , resistance , stable , transfection