Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Cell Biology and Cell Culture > Stem Cell Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stem Cell Forum Stem Cells and Stem Cell Culture. Embryonic Cell Forum and Mouse Transgenic Forum. Blastocyst injection, ES Cell Selection.

With stem cells, could it be possible to get a woman pregnant without second...

With stem cells, could it be possible to get a woman pregnant without second... - Stem Cell Forum

With stem cells, could it be possible to get a woman pregnant without second... - Stem Cells and Stem Cell Culture. Embryonic Cell Forum and Mouse Transgenic Forum. Blastocyst injection, ES Cell Selection.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default With stem cells, could it be possible to get a woman pregnant without second...

...party sperm? (long)? Please, if you're against stem cell research and aren't willing to contribute actual information and keep your thoughts to yourself, don't answer. I am not afraid to, and will, report you for venting, ranting or using hate speech (which is covered by rules and regulations). Try to report me, and I'll just post this warning as proof that I gave a warning. Contributing thoughts ONLY.

To my understanding, stem cells are basically blank slabs that can turn into any specialized cell with certain manipulations applied.

If, while altering the stem cell into a specialized cell from a female, you injected or infused a synthetic analog of testosterone (and whatever chemicals needed), would it be possible for a stem cell to transform into a fully functional sperm cell even if the cell was originally from a woman?

Then, could you in turn implant that cell into a ovum of the very same female and thus create a fetus and later an infant?

I mean, it would have two halves of the same DNA of the mother so it would, by my understanding, create another whole and a technical clone. The child would be a clone of the mother since it doesn't have second party DNA to alter it, right?

I'm sorry it was so long but any feed back would be appreciated. And sorry for the warning but I really would like an answer to this and I don't want it reported because of people's grudges against the subject.

Thank you.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:32 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2,203, Level: 30 Points: 2,203, Level: 30 Points: 2,203, Level: 30

Default Re: With stem cells, could it be possible to get a woman pregnant without second...

Your approach to create sperm from a woman's cells, is right not, not possible. The process is not fully replicated in labs, so you're talking about things that can only happen in the far future. But, even if it is technically possible, you will have to think about whether it is illegal to do so, as you will essentially be trying to create a clone. BUT, the process of creating either sperm or egg already makes the resulting offspring a different genetic makeup from the parents, so I don't think you will want that either, am I right?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Graduate Student
Points: 1,231, Level: 20 Points: 1,231, Level: 20 Points: 1,231, Level: 20

Default Re: With stem cells, could it be possible to get a woman pregnant without second...

In mice XX cells cannot become sperm. Only XY stem cells injected into an embryo can differentiate into sperm.

Parthenogenetic embryos can be generated that have only the maternal genome. However, these do not develop normally past a certain stage, due to the requirement for paternal gene imprinting.

Last edited by mmorgan; 06-27-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 102, Level: 2 Points: 102, Level: 2 Points: 102, Level: 2

Stem cells are distinguished by their ability to differentiate into many types of cells in the body and to self-replicate indefinitely. Their very nature has intrigued scientists who foresee a day when stem cells could be used to replace diseased and injured tissue in patients, to screen and test new drugs, and to learn more about our fundamental biology.i think that those women's who are [Only registered users see links. ] are don't take the drugs because drugs are very dangerous for her.Two different types of stem cells can be collected before childbirth: amniotic stem cells and umbilical cord blood stem cells. The collection of amniotic stem cells is part of the process of amniocentesis. Umbilical cord blood stem cells can be stored in both public and private cord blood banks...

Tags
cells , pregnant , stem , woman , _