Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Basic Lab Protocols and Techniques > SDS-PAGE Gel Electrophoresis Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SDS-PAGE Gel Electrophoresis Forum SDS-PAGE Forum and Gel Electrophoresis Forum. Discuss the running of agarose gels, sds-page gels, and other gels including sequencing, gradient or tricine.

blurred bands after silver staining

blurred bands after silver staining - SDS-PAGE Gel Electrophoresis Forum

blurred bands after silver staining - SDS-PAGE Forum and Gel Electrophoresis Forum. Discuss the running of agarose gels, sds-page gels, and other gels including sequencing, gradient or tricine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 06:11 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 816, Level: 16 Points: 816, Level: 16 Points: 816, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default blurred bands after silver staining

hi....
can any one help me. I am using 10% gel. and running at 100v and i am using the bio-rad apparatus. after silver staining the bands are not clear the whole lane in which sample was run is taking the stain and the bands are also not clearly resolved. i have tried running the experiment a number of times but the problem persists. the sample is a plant sample and protein has been extracted via tris-cl extraction method and desalted using bio-rad biospin 6 bio-gel column followed by lypholization and reconstituting in 65 micro litre 5X sample buffer and adding to it 4 micro litre beta mercaptoethanol as the total loading volume supported is 70 micro litre

the stock solution of sample buffer does not contain beta mercaptoethanol we add it later
i am uploading the image kindly tell me what should i do. we dont know anything about the protein as no work has been done on it before
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23062011330.jpg (90.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-06-2011, 04:26 AM
Volunteer
Points: 231, Level: 4 Points: 231, Level: 4 Points: 231, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: blurred bands after silver staining

its looks like you've overloaded your protein samples. I have experience with plant proteins and i do face extraction problems initially with plant proteins compared to other organisms. Maybe you can try changing your protein extraction protocol, e.g. phenol extraction/ TCA-acetone extraction/ buffer with sucrose...etc. you can try separating your proteins on 12.5% resolving & 5% stacking SDS-PAGE, with lower concentration of your proteins, maybe 2ug.
The Following User Says Thank You to JennYeap For This Useful Post:
admin (08-06-2011)

Tags
bands , blurred , blurry , problem , silver , silver staining , staining