Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > General Science Questions and Layperson Board > Science and Religion Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science and Religion Forum Discuss and post questions about Science and Religion in this Forum

I guess atheists don't believe in God because they don't have evidence,What

I guess atheists don't believe in God because they don't have evidence,What - Science and Religion Forum

I guess atheists don't believe in God because they don't have evidence,What - Discuss and post questions about Science and Religion in this Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: I guess atheists don't believe in God because they don't have evidence,What

I think Atheist don't believe in God either not solely because there are no evidence, but also because they don't have a need for it.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:55 PM
M.D/Ph.D
Points: 3,877, Level: 41 Points: 3,877, Level: 41 Points: 3,877, Level: 41

Thumbs up Re: I guess atheists don't believe in God because they don't have evidence,What

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopopsicle View Post
I think Atheist don't believe in God either not solely because there are no evidence, but also because they don't have a need for it.
Well said.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Post-Doc
Points: 2,383, Level: 31 Points: 2,383, Level: 31 Points: 2,383, Level: 31

Default Re: I guess atheists don't believe in God because they don't have evidence,What

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert V View Post
if we had never created microscope? microscopes. Would Atheists ever believe in bacteria too?
A couple of points.

Firstly, not all atheists disbelieve in gods due to a lack of evidence. Some of us (myself included) do point at the lack of evidence as support for our beliefs, however its hardly the foundation of atheism. For example, my loss of belief in god had far more to do with the disconnect between my churches teaching verses what I read in the bible, and also certain experiences I had which made me doubt the existence of a caring creator. The scientific element of my disbelief didn't become apparent to me until long after I had become an atheist.

Secondly, you do not have to see something to know it exists. Heck, when it comes to bacteria a microscope is one of the weakest forms of evidence you could come up with - many bacteria are so small as to appear as nothing more than [Only registered users see links. ] when viewed under a microscope. Even the larger ones are too small to make out much other than their general shape and size.

The reality of the existence of bacteria is based on several independent lines - the fulfillment of [Only registered users see links. ], [Only registered users see links. ] experiments, and so forth. These experiments verified the existence of bacteria long before microscope technology reached the point that bacteria could be visualized with them.

But, in regards to the "point" of this thread, there is no empirical evidence in support of god - all known events, physical interactions, etc, can be adequately explained by scientific means - the supernatural explanations are not needed to explain the universe around us. Likewise, elements of religious texts of supposedly divine (and thus perfect) source, have been shown to be false. Just looking at Christianity (and therefore some aspects of Judaism and Islam), the timeline of creation outlined in genesis, the exodous, the geocentric universe, the global flood, etc, have all been shown through either science or historical scholarship to not ever have occurred. The fact that supposedly god-written texts can be shown to contain falsehoods is pretty acute evidence against the existence of the supposed authors.

Bryan
Old 08-03-2010, 01:45 AM
Banned
Points: 219, Level: 4 Points: 219, Level: 4 Points: 219, Level: 4

As a scentist, we should not believe that god is alive. We need to explore the unknown world by knowledge!
Old 04-18-2011, 04:56 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1

Well, there is more proof that God does not exist than there is he does. For example things in the bible being untrue. The world is not 6,000 years old. It's just not. It's proven. Atheists go by whatever the truth is. They believe in facts. If we did not have a microscope and they found facts to prove there was no bacteria they would not believe in it. Even if there was a holy book that swore bacteria was real and if you believed in bacteria you would go to heaven. They would just go by what is fact. And the facts are bacteria is real so they go with that since it's true.

Tags
atheists , evidence , god , guess , _