Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Forum > Science News and Views
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science News and Views The latest news and publications from Nature, Science, Cell and other journals. Post science topics and your thoughts here. Anything science related goes here.

[Transcription, Chromatin, and Epigenetics] I{kappa}B-{alpha} Represses the Transcriptional Activity of the HIV-1 Tat Transactivator by Promoting Its Nuclear Export

[Transcription, Chromatin, and Epigenetics] I{kappa}B-{alpha} Represses the Transcriptional Activity of the HIV-1 Tat Transactivator by Promoting Its Nuclear Export - Science News and Views

[Transcription, Chromatin, and Epigenetics] I{kappa}B-{alpha} Represses the Transcriptional Activity of the HIV-1 Tat Transactivator by Promoting Its Nuclear Export - The latest news and publications from Nature, Science, Cell and other journals. Post science topics and your thoughts here. Anything science related goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Default [Transcription, Chromatin, and Epigenetics] I{kappa}B-{alpha} Represses the Transcriptional Activity of the HIV-1 Tat Transactivator by Promoting Its Nuclear Export

[Transcription, Chromatin, and Epigenetics] I{kappa}B-{alpha} Represses the Transcriptional Activity of the HIV-1 Tat Transactivator by Promoting Its Nuclear Export

The long terminal repeat of human immunodeficiency virus, type 1 (HIV-1) contains an NF-B enhancer and is potently inhibited by IB-S32/36A, a proteolysis-resistant inhibitor of NF-B transacting factors. The evidence that NF-B is dispensable for HIV-1 expression raises the question of whether IB- represses the HIV-1 transcription by mechanisms distinct from NF-B inhibition. Here, we report that IB- negatively regulates the HIV-1 expression and replication in an NF-B-independent manner by directly binding to Tat, which results in the nuclear export and cytoplasmic sequestration of the viral transactivator. The sequence of IB- required for Tat inhibition spans from amino acids 72 to 287 and includes the nuclear localization signal, the carboxyl-terminal nuclear export signal, and the binding site for the arginine-rich domain of Tat. This novel mechanism of cross-talk between Tat and IB- provides further insights into the mechanisms of HIV-1 regulation and could assist in the development of novel strategies for AIDS therapy.

Tags
activity , chromatin , epigenetics , export , hiv1 , ikappabalpha , nuclear , promoting , represses , tat , transactivator , transcription , transcriptional