Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Forum > Science Careers > Science Jobs Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science Jobs Forum Lab Jobs Forum. Post and Discuss anything about Science jobs, careers and positions.

Msc vs PhD

Msc vs PhD - Science Jobs Forum

Msc vs PhD - Lab Jobs Forum. Post and Discuss anything about Science jobs, careers and positions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Msc vs PhD

Hi,
I'm currently in a PhD program in molecular biology that focuses on microbiology. Due to multiple factors, I want to downgrade to a Masters instead. I know I won't be running a lab or teaching, but are there decent jobs to be found for a masters degree in molec. bio? I'm also considering employment in the UK/Europe, so any input there would be great.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Msc vs PhD

Hi there,
I guess you should look into the amount of time you need to finish a MSc. and a Ph.D.

I did both, however the Ph.D has greater implications for academia (as well as getting a Dr. scientist title I guess :P ), whereas the Masters can be quick (even in a year or so however most take 2 years) but can help you get a job in biotech.

To be honest, I thought too much effort went into my M.Sc. as I had to defend it, publish papers, and write a thesis. I think that effort could have went all into the Ph.D and it would have been easier.

Obviously salaries vary between Ph.D and M.Sc., however I would weigh in the time needed to do a M.Sc. vs a Ph.D (1-2 vs 4-6) and factors such as final pay, where you want to reach (goals), and other factors you can think of.

cheers
Old 02-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Well, in Europe a Master's isn't very difficult, i.e. you normally don't need a paper, just a (smaller) thesis and a short defence (after approx. 2 years). So I don't know how it is for you. As far as I can tell you can get pretty nice jobs with a Master there, depending a bit where you want to go (which country), and if you'd like to go into research or industry. With a Master it is probably easier to get a job in the industry.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:07 PM
M.D/Ph.D
Points: 4,149, Level: 43 Points: 4,149, Level: 43 Points: 4,149, Level: 43
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

I agree with Anophela. A Master has a wider spectrum of job possibilities. I'm not saying doing a PhD is bad, but you have to be aware that by getting that grade you'll have to give your life to research and human resources formation (teaching). If you have a PhD and do not research and teach you are a failure, not in general but as Dr. that is. At least that is how I've been teached.

Tags
msc , phd