Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum

Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/)
-   Science Jobs Forum (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/science-jobs-forum/)
-   -   College major/career ideas that merge science and art? (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/science-jobs-forum/67009-college-major-career-ideas-merge-science-art.html)

lissyloo21 06-19-2009 01:19 AM

College major/career ideas that merge science and art?

I'm going to be applying to colleges soon. I really love art, science, psychology, and statistics. I'm considering medicine, nursing, architecture, or bioinformatics. I would love to do medical illustration, if only it had reliable jobs/income. I'm afraid that I will be unhappy if I do entirely science and leave art behind. Any ideas or advice?

~CarIssa~ 04-16-2010 09:47 PM

Re: College major/career ideas that merge science and art?

There is a field that blends art and psychology, it has to do with the healing powers of art, I can't remember the exact term. Think about X-ray crystallography. It's the art of science.

muffinman563 05-11-2010 12:05 PM

Those are very broad life paths relative to each other. It's like wanting to be a pro soccer player, opera singer and a mechanic engineer. If you do medical science (i.e nursing) you can still enjoy art as a hobby. If you do medicine you will take some psychology classes and can enjoy art as a hobby.

airjacobs 07-15-2010 03:23 AM

I am going to apply for college too. I am going to take up Nursing. I want to help people who got sick if I am already educated through formal eduaction.

janet986w 09-06-2010 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airjacobs (Post 421507)
I am going to apply for college too. I am going to take up Nursing. I want to help people who got sick if I am already educated through formal eduaction.

Thanks you for the post.

luisillo 09-06-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lissyloo21 (Post 402153)
I'm going to be applying to colleges soon. I really love art, science, psychology, and statistics. I'm considering medicine, nursing, architecture, or bioinformatics. I would love to do medical illustration, if only it had reliable jobs/income. I'm afraid that I will be unhappy if I do entirely science and leave art behind. Any ideas or advice?

About activities that merge science and art, I've heard of scientific drawing. Although I think it is an activity more suited for field scientists like zoologists or botanics. The drawings can be sold to book editorials.

obaidmuhammad23 10-07-2010 07:27 AM

I got a question to ask from you guys. I am going to get married to a Pakistani girl InshaAllah who is in a medical school in Pakistan. She has done 2 years and by the time she will come to USA it will be 3 years of her studies and now I don't know if she can finish the rest in USA or she will have to start all over again. I hope I get some good advise from you.

jacobmaru 10-09-2010 04:28 PM

in the science filed girl/boy choose very independently for own carrer

Dr. Jared Snider 11-05-2010 07:25 PM

Back to the subject of this thread, artists with the scientific knowledge of biological processes would be invaluable for pharmaceutical/biotech companies that try to graphically represent their products or what their products do in a biological setting. It's like getting a PhD and then becoming a lawyer to do biotech patent law, or getting a PhD and an MBA and going into biotech marketing. Cross-discipline training is done all the time and you will only come out better for it.

4N6addict 04-14-2011 12:14 AM

You may be interested in art restoration, I considered it at one point. It requires a lot of chemistry and (obviously) interaction with and knowledge about art. I believe the field is pretty competitive as there is not a lot of need for it, so you are probably looking at an advanced degree.