Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Forum > Science Careers
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science Careers Science Job Forum. Discuss science and laboratory based careers. Includes Lab managers, technicians, post doctoral positions, faculty positions, salaray, applications and training.

Experienced views on studying and working with molecular biology?

Experienced views on studying and working with molecular biology? - Science Careers

Experienced views on studying and working with molecular biology? - Science Job Forum. Discuss science and laboratory based careers. Includes Lab managers, technicians, post doctoral positions, faculty positions, salaray, applications and training.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Experienced views on studying and working with molecular biology?

I'm a 16 year old boy who's currently doing my first year at high school. In Junior High, I got good grades in both science and math, and entered the best school in the city. However, my science grade depended greatly on my teacher. I was used to have a very motivating teacher, who tended to teach us stuff outside of the curriculum, as we basically forced him too as he made us so curious.

Now, I have a less motivating science teacher, which heavely affects my grade, even though I try my best to keep motivated on my own. Any good videos/filmed university lectures on molecular biology, chemistry or stem cell research that would be a good alternative?

Furthermore, I want to study molecular biology when I'm going to the university. Does anyone know how tightly molecular biology is connected to stem cell research? And how is the studies?

And if I succeed, how is the practical workday for a molecular-biologist? (Is that even a word? Lol.) What kind of task are you faced with?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Nobel Laureate
Points: 8,612, Level: 64 Points: 8,612, Level: 64 Points: 8,612, Level: 64

Default Re: Experienced views on studying and working with molecular biology?

Molecular biology is fine work--cool experiments, down time (weeks of chilling at work), and expensive toys to play with (I have similar machines to "CSI/Bones" labs, though I don't use them for chemistry).

You can't expect all teachers to be motivating, wonderful etc., you need to survive some classes (and make A's). Post high-school, the education system is really a test of who is the most determined, not the best learner, most talented.

Beware lousy personalities are very much a part of science, so knowing how to deal with that is an asset in the long run.

MIT lectures on youtube are great (can't recommend biology specific ones, but solid state chemistry is very cool).
The Following User Says Thank You to danfive For This Useful Post:
Saulomo (03-12-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Post-Doc
Points: 2,383, Level: 31 Points: 2,383, Level: 31 Points: 2,383, Level: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saulomo View Post
Furthermore, I want to study molecular biology when I'm going to the university. Does anyone know how tightly molecular biology is connected to stem cell research? And how is the studies?
Very. Stem cell biology, at least today, is largely a mix of genetics and molecular biology. Most people working in the area have a background in cell or molecular biology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saulomo View Post
And if I succeed, how is the practical workday for a molecular-biologist? (Is that even a word? Lol.) What kind of task are you faced with?
It really depends on your career path. Work for mol.biol. is quite varied - you can work in a lab in academia, gov, or private industry (pharam/biotech). There are also jobs for mol.biol. in investment/capital financing, admin (usually within pharma/biotech). Plus teaching (high school through to uni), public resources, and other jobs.

Even within those divisions, work loads can vary greatly. Someone holding a lab-tech type position, either in academia or industry, has a pretty standard 9-5 job. Project heads (pharma/biotech) or scientists/professors (achedemia/gov) tend to have very intense jobs, with 9-5 type hours being rare.

Bryan
Old 03-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfive View Post
Molecular biology is fine work--cool experiments, down time (weeks of chilling at work), and expensive toys to play with (I have similar machines to "CSI/Bones" labs, though I don't use them for chemistry).

You can't expect all teachers to be motivating, wonderful etc., you need to survive some classes (and make A's). Post high-school, the education system is really a test of who is the most determined, not the best learner, most talented.

Beware lousy personalities are very much a part of science, so knowing how to deal with that is an asset in the long run.

MIT lectures on youtube are great (can't recommend biology specific ones, but solid state chemistry is very cool).
Thanks for the MIT tip, it's really helping me out =)

Tags
biology , experienced , molecular , studying , views , working