Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Forum > Science Careers
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science Careers Science Job Forum. Discuss science and laboratory based careers. Includes Lab managers, technicians, post doctoral positions, faculty positions, salaray, applications and training.

Can my past affect my future?

Can my past affect my future? - Science Careers

Can my past affect my future? - Science Job Forum. Discuss science and laboratory based careers. Includes Lab managers, technicians, post doctoral positions, faculty positions, salaray, applications and training.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 158, Level: 3 Points: 158, Level: 3 Points: 158, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Can my past affect my future?

Hi, I only want all honest questions here... I am a sixteen year old girl, I am currently homeschooled, I got to a homeschool co-op where I go to a classroom once a week. In the past I did those illegit homeschooling programs, for example... k-12, conncetions academy, OHDELA things like that (you can research them if you want) I have been homeschooled for my whole life, and while I was in those programs I wasn't getting the work explained to me very well, my parents are divorced so it was just me and my sister at home both trying to homeschool our selves. I am not going to say I had the best grades then either. This year, however, somethings began to change... I started getting tutoring, and then I entered the homeschooling co-op in the fall... I have been getting good and decent grades since... especially now that I have real teachers... I also forgot to mention in the past when I would take my state tests, such as the OAT's "ohio achievemnt tests" I don't think I did so well (once again because homeschooling wasn't helping me learn and I hated it!). Now, to get to the point... I want to major in the science field and do something science related, do you think that my education history will hinder any of my plans?

thanks

P.S. I also am applying for a really nice high school, will any of this hinder tha chance too?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1

Default Re: Can my past affect my future?

If your grades are good and you'll be in highschool long enough to get good references from your teachers being homeschooled is unlikely to hinder your chances any more than the rest of us whose mums and dads didn't bankroll us through private school. (Actually that's a fairly big hinderance but not insummountable! )
Old 03-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 158, Level: 3 Points: 158, Level: 3 Points: 158, Level: 3

Haha yeah, because I am now getting fairly good references and very well grades!! However, I did not know if my hazy past of school would affect my future of college ect... But I think you're right! haha
Old 04-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1

I think overall GPA and test scores (SAT/ACT) are more important to colleges than curriculum or actual high school work and behavior. Once you have a college degree, no one takes a second glance at high school. You can do it! I would just say stick with the tutoring, as it is very important in science to understand the foundational knowledge very well.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1

I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1

I don't think that that every thing will be Ok and gonna fine in your future....
Don't loss heart about your plan's and go to prove yourself in you future that you are a brave girl and face any kind of situation......

[Only registered users see links. ]
Old 06-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1

It can, but usually the present is much more valuable than the past.

Tags
affect , future , past