Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Forum > Science Careers
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science Careers Science Job Forum. Discuss science and laboratory based careers. Includes Lab managers, technicians, post doctoral positions, faculty positions, salaray, applications and training.

How would I become a medical/clinical microbiologist specializing in mental health?

How would I become a medical/clinical microbiologist specializing in mental health? - Science Careers

How would I become a medical/clinical microbiologist specializing in mental health? - Science Job Forum. Discuss science and laboratory based careers. Includes Lab managers, technicians, post doctoral positions, faculty positions, salaray, applications and training.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default How would I become a medical/clinical microbiologist specializing in mental health?

How would I become a medical/clinical microbiologist specializing in mental health?

I want to study how bacteria, viruses, prions, etc, can cause mental health issues like schizophrenia, OCD, etc... The stuff that sounds more like science fiction rather than legitimate science.

The part about becoming a medical/clinical microbiologist is rather clear cut (an incredible amount of work, but clear cut nonetheless). It is the mental health part that I am uncertain about... I was thinking after I get my PhD in microbiology and finish a post-doc in medical/clinical microbiology, then I would get a masters in neuroscience. After that I would try to find another post-doc that would combine my knowledge of microbiology with my lesser knowledge of neuroscience.

Obviously, this plan is no simple task, but I am not opposed to excrutiatingly hard work if that is what it takes to get what I want. I get to study real life "science fiction" and help save hundreds of lives!

Please keep in mind that I do not plan on becoming an MD, and although I do very well academically (A's and B's, I stay at about 3.6-3.7 GPA) I do not have all A's across the board. Also keep in mind that eventually, one day I would like to be the lead/head researcher and be able to choose what I research to some degree. What I mean is, I don't mind working my way up, but one day I do want to be on the top.

Tags
health , medical or clinical , mental , microbiologist , specializing