Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Forum > Science Careers
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science Careers Science Job Forum. Discuss science and laboratory based careers. Includes Lab managers, technicians, post doctoral positions, faculty positions, salaray, applications and training.

Research scientists, are there actually jobs and can you make a living?

Research scientists, are there actually jobs and can you make a living? - Science Careers

Research scientists, are there actually jobs and can you make a living? - Science Job Forum. Discuss science and laboratory based careers. Includes Lab managers, technicians, post doctoral positions, faculty positions, salaray, applications and training.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Exclamation Research scientists, are there actually jobs and can you make a living?

I have been interested in biogerontology for a while. At the moment I am half way through my business degree though. My parents are encouraging me to finish the business degree, but I still want to persue a PHD in biology one day.

With a lower demand for scientists, as well as a low salary even with a PHD,
would it be wise to get into this field?

According to the big "Do we need more scientists" blog, one may want to re-consider a science major. Especially if you're not going to med school.

I do not want to get stuck in a random food testing lab & would like to help with anti-aging research.

I have 15 classes for the business major (MIS)
& 31 to go for Bio.
But, it may be possible to get a position in business with a Bio degree.

Should I finish my business major and then double major in science, or just switch now to bio?

I haven't slept for 60 hours trying to make the decision.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:03 PM
M.D/Ph.D
Points: 4,801, Level: 47 Points: 4,801, Level: 47 Points: 4,801, Level: 47
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Default Re: Research scientists, are there actually jobs and can you make a living?

hmmm I would say u need ur sleep 1st before reaching a conclusion. Maybe you can ask around senior in the place you study especially the one in science job or u can find university counselor. I am sure they must have question like this before. But for me it boil down to what you wanted at the end.

During my time, its kinda obvious as i am better in science then business. But i have never try business before. now i think maybe i am in the wrong field... but as long as u focus on what u do, and do it the best u know how maybe there is no wrong or right option. by the way may i know where r u from?

if you think i am talking non-sense most likely u r right!!!!! i am usually hyperactive when fed with antibiotics.... yes i took em for few days already...

Tags
jobs , living , make , research , scientists