Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Forum > Science Careers
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science Careers Science Job Forum. Discuss science and laboratory based careers. Includes Lab managers, technicians, post doctoral positions, faculty positions, salaray, applications and training.

Academic Research in America

Academic Research in America - Science Careers

Academic Research in America - Science Job Forum. Discuss science and laboratory based careers. Includes Lab managers, technicians, post doctoral positions, faculty positions, salaray, applications and training.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Academic Research in America

is in a horrible state. NIH post doc salaries start at just 37K and are taxed at 34% when you factor in state, federal, city (some), social security and medicare.

This means you are expected to make a living into your thirties at just 25K per year after tax.

On top of that, the institution I evaluated (Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York) wanted me to pay for my health cover on top of that despite the fact I was doing life science research in a hospital!.

If you know what is good for you, stay out of academic research in this country. Either go to another country or pursue another career. You will end up broke and miserabe despite the fact you may be intelligent and hardworking.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Nobel Laureate
Points: 8,612, Level: 64 Points: 8,612, Level: 64 Points: 8,612, Level: 64

Default Re: Academic Research in America

Good point Ollie. And very true.

If you are offered 37K and are a PhD, you should know that people with a bachelor's degree and a couple years of experience are making more than you.
I think you should go armed with that info to your interviews, and make a good case for a higher salary.

I think a big problem with this low salary business is that you are dealing with Human Resources people, make a case to the Principal Investigators and be straight up you don't negotiate salary with HR. I start many conversations with the sentence, "I hate HR," and they actually go scrambling out of the room and out of the interview process. Then I am left to deal with the actual scientists/lab managers.

You have to know that few are making a career out of science, and you are a limited commodity. Therefore you have nothing to lose because there are many opportunities out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to danfive For This Useful Post:
butters (01-19-2010)
Old 11-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Nobel Laureate
Points: 8,612, Level: 64 Points: 8,612, Level: 64 Points: 8,612, Level: 64

BTW

In Texas, which is a notoriously low-wage state, PhDs make around 80K as principal investigators, pathologists, assoc. professors.

Post-docs are likely the same as you've seen, it's kind of a nation-wide grant program that pays that salary; hopefully you can find a position that is combination---job 60% : post-doc training 40%, with commensurate salary. That way your income will be higher.

Like I said before, salary info is a great weapon, but you usually have to network to get it.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Banned
Points: 71, Level: 1 Points: 71, Level: 1 Points: 71, Level: 1

I cannot give you sources, nor leads-I didn't have other people around the globe to help me with my homework-you can do you own. However, I can give you some information you can look up and go from there.
First and foremost, America's only energy problem is the envormentalcases that will not allow this country to do like France and go Nuclear-the cleanest known source of energy.
What's really funny about that is if the whole world went Nuclear, eventually we would use up all the uranium on energy, and would have none left to make bombs-but no one every thinks about that.

Last edited by admin; 09-26-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:11 AM
Banned
Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2

Right on, write on about whatever you feel best.

Tags
academic , america , research