Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Forum > Science Careers
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science Careers Science Job Forum. Discuss science and laboratory based careers. Includes Lab managers, technicians, post doctoral positions, faculty positions, salaray, applications and training.

Geology / Earth Science graduates -- can

Geology / Earth Science graduates -- can - Science Careers

Geology / Earth Science graduates -- can - Science Job Forum. Discuss science and laboratory based careers. Includes Lab managers, technicians, post doctoral positions, faculty positions, salaray, applications and training.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 1,307, Level: 21 Points: 1,307, Level: 21 Points: 1,307, Level: 21
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Geology / Earth Science graduates -- can

anyone honestly tell me how the jobs are in this field? I'm a Geology major. But I have heard not so good things (like people with Masters taking more than 6 months to find jobs, low pay, layoffs, etc). I really like Geology, and changing majors will delay me several semesters. I'm kind of worried.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 1,283, Level: 20 Points: 1,283, Level: 20 Points: 1,283, Level: 20

no jobs available except if you have heavy eqiuipment training. bulldozer work is good.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Pipette Filler

Its not true....bright future...for fresh graduate its little bit difficult to enter good organization but later on goood earning and attactive future.
Good luck!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Pipette Filler

Well, it depends on where you want to live and what you want to do. If you are OK with living in eastern Nevada and would lik eto work in mining, they are DESPERATE for geologists from what I've heard, even offering 50k salaries to people just finnishing their BS. Oil is also a blosseming field, but then you have to live in Wyoming or Houston, usually. And those sallaries can even approach six figures (starting) with an MS.

In big cities, especially in the west, geotech and environmental jobs are very much in demand.

This is what I would do: talk to some of your profs, especially those who do the things you like and/or you get along with. Chances are, they have a friend or a friend of a friend who is in industry that you can talk to about jobs. The biggest problem with most geology jobs is you are not going to find them on Monster or HotJobs. More often, you have to find the jobs by talking to the people who are hiring directly.

Right now, I am looking, and I have one offer with two other good leads. I am trying to work in a limited region, so that is my problem. If I was open to moving, I could have a job in a week.

So, don't change, the market is good and getting better. You will see, things will work out.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:32 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 1,150, Level: 19 Points: 1,150, Level: 19 Points: 1,150, Level: 19

Default Re: Geology / Earth Science graduates -- can

hi,
i really thank the co-opr to accept my regestration n helpin.
i hav resently passedout my B.Ss.microbiology with good marks,i would lik to know what are the different feilds i can go in for my postgraduation.
well, im realy happy to receive such n intresting & exciting information i realy wish to informmy frenz too.
plz guide me.
thankyou.

Tags
earth , geology , graduates , science