Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Forum > Science Careers
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science Careers Science Job Forum. Discuss science and laboratory based careers. Includes Lab managers, technicians, post doctoral positions, faculty positions, salaray, applications and training.

Is it possible to have a career in Computer...

Is it possible to have a career in Computer... - Science Careers

Is it possible to have a career in Computer... - Science Job Forum. Discuss science and laboratory based careers. Includes Lab managers, technicians, post doctoral positions, faculty positions, salaray, applications and training.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 1,295, Level: 20 Points: 1,295, Level: 20 Points: 1,295, Level: 20
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Is it possible to have a career in Computer...

...Science if I'm not good at Math? I like computers but my math skills don't match with it. I really wanna take Comp. Science but I don't have any confidence with my Math skills most especially in Calculus part. Is there any way that I could enhance my weakness?

Note:
NO HARSH REMARKS!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 1,285, Level: 20 Points: 1,285, Level: 20 Points: 1,285, Level: 20

Calculus would be ok to not know, but you definately MUST know your algebra very well, everything in computer programing is algebra, and everything is a number
Old 04-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 1,285, Level: 20 Points: 1,285, Level: 20 Points: 1,285, Level: 20

Computer science uses a lot of mathematics; in my degree, it was compulsory to take mathematics up to second year level, in both calculus and algebra. Algebraic concepts such as matrices are vital for some areas of computer science, and writing working programs involves a great deal of mathematical manipulation - for example, getting an object to move in a circle on the screen requires trig, drawing a graphic requires various geometry, and solving problems often involves reducing the problem to mathematical equations.

You might like to consider getting a maths tutor, or attending a summer school programme, to brush up on your maths. If you really despise maths, then it's possible that computer science may not be the best profession for you...

Tags
career , computer