hi! welcome to this foruM! To decontaminate surfaces and inactivate RNAses you can either:
Buy commercial solutions such as: Ambion's RNaseZap, or RNase OFF
- or use a mild solution of bleach or NaOH
Using detergent solutions used commonly for soaking and cleaning glassware will not be as effective as these using commercial solution or mild bleach/NaOH.
DO NOT USE Detergent solutions
- these soaps or detergents can actually make the problem even worse, since detergents spread the RNase contamination over a much wider area.
DEPC water will do nothing....as you cant autoclave the equipement
also DEPC is both expensive and may be also carcinogenic.