Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > RNA Techniques Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RNA Techniques Forum Post and discuss RNA methods and RNA science related topics. RNA extraction, cDNA synthesis, RNA EMSA, and other RNA protocols.

RNA extraction from polysomes

RNA extraction from polysomes - RNA Techniques Forum

RNA extraction from polysomes - Post and discuss RNA methods and RNA science related topics. RNA extraction, cDNA synthesis, RNA EMSA, and other RNA protocols.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 03:56 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Unhappy RNA extraction from polysomes

Hi everyone
I hope someone on here can help as I am going crazy..

I want to run a microarray analysis on polysomes ..

What I do is grow my human cell lines, extract the polysomes using a particular buffer, run the polysomes on a sucrose gradient, fractionate the gradient, and then try to extract RNA from the gradients for the microarray.

I am having LOTS of trouble with the RNA extraction.
1. I've tried 2 QIAGEN kits, and the Invitrogen Trizol protocol. I am finally able to get more than 200ng/uL and a 260/280 of about 1.6-2. BUT my 260/230 is ALWAYS below 1 which means I have TRIZOL contamination. Any suggestions on another protocol to extract my RNA. I usually add 2.5X EtOH to my samples overnight -80C before beginning any of the protocols...

2. When I run my samples on a bioanalyzer to check for quality, I don't get a smear.. nor do I get the 2 distinct bands. I get more than 30 random bands EVERYWHERE. I don't know what that means!

3. When I try to run my sample on an agarose gel instead, either (a) my sample floats out of the wells (I think I have EtOH in my final sample) or (B) I am able to run the samples by tripling the amount of loading dye but I see absolutely nothing on the gels.. As if there is no RNA...but that's not possible because the nanodrop points to the fact that I do.

Sorry this is so long but I've tried everything and am starting to lose it. I don't know what else to do. Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks
NG
Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: RNA extraction from polysomes

Hi NG,
Hope you are done with ur experimets. I am exactly facing the same problem as u mentioned. Any suggestion for improvement..
Thanks
RB

Tags
extraction , polysomes , rna