Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum

Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/)
-   RNA Techniques Forum (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/rna-techniques-forum/)
-   -   Depc (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/rna-techniques-forum/1082-depc.html)

Jose 03-10-2007 11:13 PM

Depc

Until now, i usually use DEPC- water, and treated matherial (tips, tubes, glas...) to work with RNA. But I see other labs dont work so.
It is possible not to work with DEPC? What do you think about it?

moleculardude 03-11-2007 04:45 AM

Re: Depc

Dear Jose,
welcome to the forums!

We are one of those labs that do not use DEPC. It is very possible not to use DEPC water, however you must take certain precautions.

If you use RNase inhibitors such as Promega RNAsin, then you really do not need to take many precautions.
Even then, I use Milipore (rnase free) water for making buffers and solutions.

If you do not use RNase inhibitors then you must be very careful to use clean, sterile glassware AND milipore water (rnase free).
If you use regular distilled water, you may have some problems.

Cheers!
Moleculardude

nkaur 03-21-2007 04:59 PM

is it necessary to sterilize pippets.If it is then how it can be sterilize?

pooja 06-18-2007 04:23 PM

hi all,
if u are not using depc i ur lab. then
plz. let me know what are those precautionary steps that u r foliowing.
as am extracting dsRNA in hood but am not getting any result.
i thought u it may be depc, if u recommend MQ water by that u mean
what autoclaved or not as i heard autoclving spreads rnases.
my mail i.d is [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

deltafx1942 06-20-2007 02:59 PM

moleculardude, i was under the impression that treating glassware/plasticware with an RNase inhibitor like RNase-Away was the main precaution to take when working with RNA, besides the usual like gloves.

what other precautions should one take when working with RNA?

̑̑̑ 06-29-2007 01:15 PM

always use either depc treated reagents, or use rnase inhibitors, treat plastic/glassware by sumerging o/n on 0.1% SDS and rinse next mornig with rnase free water and then etahnol to remove traces of detergents. use sterile tips and never autoclaved them as water vapour in autoclaves is full of rnases. wear gloves and use your common sense it will take you as long way in the lab... unless your common sense is bush-like lol

pooja 07-10-2007 10:21 AM

thanks to all, i get through my problem but the band of dsRNA which is coming out is comparitively faint means the yield is low. can i improve my results further. what do you suggest?
thanks once again

pooja 07-10-2007 10:23 AM

and now, its been very true that using depc is not essential, M.Q water and some major precautions for RNA can work out the problem.

moleculardude 07-10-2007 01:03 PM

I definitely use autoclaved pipette tips all the time. Yes this is a must. I am of the school of thought that DEPC and baked glassware do not need to be used ONLY when using RNase inhibitors (and plenty of them!) ;)

:) Saves time (but not money)...