Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biochemistry Forum > RNA Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RNA Forum RNA Forum. Discuss RNA including mRNA structure and function, rRNA, tRNAs, and the biochemistry of other RNA molecules.

riboswitches

riboswitches - RNA Forum

riboswitches - RNA Forum. Discuss RNA including mRNA structure and function, rRNA, tRNAs, and the biochemistry of other RNA molecules.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Unhappy riboswitches

Hi everyone.
Im doing a lab project about riboswitches. in short, thats a secondary structure formed on the 5'UTR of an mRNA, that structure can bind a ligand/metabolite, the binding alters the mRNA structure, and could prompt termination of trancrtiption, or inhibit translation of the mRNA. this is a way for the cell to regulate gene expression, for example - when B12 is present in medium, it can bind to a specific structure of mRNA's of proteins that are supposed to synthetize B12...

in my work- we simply checked for differences in expression of a CBI-A gene, which is involved in cobalamine synthesis, with and without adding B12.
the professor did some bioinformatical work and chose that CBI gene because he saw that a B12-binding structure is located upstream of CBI, and the hypothesis was that B12 acts as a down-regulator on CBI expression.
SO FAR SO GOOD, we did all the lab work, and our results showed that adding B12 to the medium led to lower expression of CBI, i was happy.
(hope youre still with me)

Now i want to finally finish writing the project and submit it, and i just found out some disturbing fact. i got to the supplement material of the article that we used as a reference, and i see that the B12-box is located UPSTREAM of the CBI-A gene, i mean - there isnt an overlapping region. instead- its located further next to an upstream gene, which we didnt analyze at all in the lab.

The thing is - i dont know now if the professor made a mistake and we worked 3 months on a wrong gene, or maybe (most probably) he knows better than me, and there's a good reason he chose that CBI-A gene.

IN SHORT - i guess my question here is (in case anyone here at all understands what im talking about) - IS there a way that the riboswitch activity could influence the CBI-A gene ? maybe the fact that its an operon of several genes together could help explaining this. (although it seems like lmo1190 is not a part of the operon).

IF ANYONE can help, i'd be so so so grateful!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg help.jpg (85.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by lansvacer; 06-14-2010 at 12:39 AM.

Tags
riboswitches