Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science > Recombinant Protein Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Recombinant Protein Forum Recombinant Protein Forum. Discuss purification, expression, and isolation of recombinant and cloned proteins here.

Any way to freeze dry without specialized equipment?

Any way to freeze dry without specialized equipment? - Recombinant Protein Forum

Any way to freeze dry without specialized equipment? - Recombinant Protein Forum. Discuss purification, expression, and isolation of recombinant and cloned proteins here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Any way to freeze dry without specialized equipment?

I am purifying a small (14 kda) His-tagged protein that is very unstable, hydrophobic, positively charged, and very sensitive to degradation, oxidation, etc. It needs to be lyophilized (freeze-dried) for storage of longer than 1 week (which preserves its activity, based on other reports). Apparently quick freezing (dry ice / ethanol) with 10-50% glycerol, then storage at -80 C results in loss of activity.

However, I have no access to a freeze-drier. We do have a vaccuum pump and can make a cold trap (dry ice / ethanol), and have a speed vac. Is there any way to use some combination of this equipment to freeze dry? Would freezing my samples to, i.e., -80C and putting them directly in a speed vac (either room temperature, or in a cold room) likely work? Any other ideas? My sample volumes are 100ul to 500ul.

Thanks for any advice!

Tags
dry , equipment , freeze , specialized