Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum > Real-Time PCR and Quantitative PCR Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Real-Time PCR and Quantitative PCR Forum Real-Time PCR and Quantitative PCR Forum

White or Clear PCR plates?

White or Clear PCR plates? - Real-Time PCR and Quantitative PCR Forum

White or Clear PCR plates? - Real-Time PCR and Quantitative PCR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 3,150, Level: 36 Points: 3,150, Level: 36 Points: 3,150, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default White or Clear PCR plates?

Hello,

I'm just wondering if you can advise me on choosing plates for real-time PCR. I've heard that white plates can give better sensitivity and improve the signal:noise ratio.

We have some previous data which came from white plates and showed a 20-fold difference between treatments, but new data from clear plates which shows no difference. Could the plate difference be the answer - we can't find any other explanation and the RNA came from the same tissue.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Post-Doc
Points: 2,239, Level: 30 Points: 2,239, Level: 30 Points: 2,239, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: White or Clear PCR plates?

According to the manufacturer of our real-time system (Roche - we have LightCycler 480 for plates analysis) white plates are better unless you have software version 1.5 and above. With newer software version you can use both types of plates and no changes should be observed.

So I don't know if it's the software issue but it could be so - it depends on the software how the fluorescence sample to background ratio is interpreted and so on. I guess it could also depend on the type of real-time system.

I use white plates if anyone asks

Tags
clear , pcr , plates , white