Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protocols and Methods Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Protocols and Methods Forum Post Any Protocol, Method, Technique, Procedure or Tips / Troubleshooting for any Molecular Biology Technique.


Plant DNA extraction problem

Plant DNA extraction problem - Protocols and Methods Forum

Plant DNA extraction problem - Post Any Protocol, Method, Technique, Procedure or Tips / Troubleshooting for any Molecular Biology Technique.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Plant DNA extraction problem



Hello.

Im presently carryng out a molecular study with some plant species of the Family Lauracea (Persea mostly).

Presently, the DNA extraction is being carried out using Quiagen DNA extraction kit, with which I have had good results in the past with other plant species. Nevertheless, with several species of the Persea genus things are quite different.

I grind the plant material with liquid nitrogen and soon after I add the AP1 buffer (lyses buffer), a very viscous, mucus like substance results. If I carry on the protocol as recomended by Quiagen and add the AP2 buffer (precipitation buffer), centrifuge and after which I atempt to recover the supernatant, in several cases there is no supernatant to recovery. Just a block of a mucus in the tube.

Whenever any supernatant is recovered, it is translucent, although quite viscous. Carriyng out the extraction untill the end, in most cases there is no DNA obtained from the extraction, as evidenced by the absence of bands in a electrophoresis.

I have tried altering the procedure recomended by Quiagen in an atempt to obtain DNA, but untill now with little or no success. The alterations are mostly related to alterations in the volume of AP1 and/or AP2 used during the extraction.

Does anyone have similar experience in situations similar to this one and can you please give me some guidance on how to obtain DNA from plants that produce very viscous substances?

PS: I have tried extracting DNA from these species using CTAB. The very viscous substance also forms and in general the sucess of the DNA extraction in very low.

Thank you in advance for your possible interest and help in solving this issue.

Best wishes

Carlos Lobo
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dna , extraction , plant , plant dna , problem , quiagen kit , viscous substance


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with Plasmid Extraction Trial&Error DNA Extraction Forum 3 01-16-2009 11:14 AM
Problem with extraction of DNA from Trizol max_rempel Epigenetics Forum: DNA Methylation, Histone and Chromatin Study 2 01-11-2008 03:39 PM
Plant Genomics Internships John C. Walker Arabidopsis and Plant Biology 0 02-03-2005 07:04 PM
Plant Biology Curator Position Pankaj Jaiswal Arabidopsis and Plant Biology 0 10-06-2003 05:02 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Molecular Station | All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.11594 seconds with 16 queries