Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protocols and Methods Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Protocols and Methods Forum Post Any Protocol, Method, Technique, Procedure or Tips / Troubleshooting for any Molecular Biology Technique.

problems with restriction digestion

problems with restriction digestion - Protocols and Methods Forum

problems with restriction digestion - Post Any Protocol, Method, Technique, Procedure or Tips / Troubleshooting for any Molecular Biology Technique.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Matthew Martino

Default problems with restriction digestion

I agree. There is always the concern of Methylation, a cells natural defense of dna from restriction enzymes. If the extra bands appear and they seem faint, for instance dimmer than the band above and the band below it, then you are having partials. This can easily be explained by the fact that some enzymes require exact salt conditions for activity and anything differing from the optimum will result in partial digests. One way to check if this is the case is doing digests with the enzymes individually. You shouldsee linear DNA fragments in both cases (slight smiling of bands, but no streaking and definitely not multiple bands such as linear and supercoiled running together). Whichever enzymes doesn't give you completely linear DNA is the problem.

Matt
Old 09-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 811, Level: 16 Points: 811, Level: 16 Points: 811, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: problems with restriction digestion

Hello,
I need help trying to figure out why my restriction digestion is not working. Here is how I did it.
I cultured bacteria that were already transformed with the my gene of interest using pcDNA3. I purified plasmid DNA from the culture using GenElute Five-Minute Plasmid Miniprep kit. Then measured DNA concentration in sample and the 260/280 value was 2.1.
Then by PCR, I amplified the gene and then ran the product on a gel to confirm that the correct product was amplified. I used GenElute PCR cleanup kit to purify the PCR product and then cloned the gene using pLenti6/V5 Directional TOPO cloning kit.

Then purified the plasmid DNA using GenElute Five-Minute Plasmid Miniprep kit. After that I incubated 1 ul (containing 5 ng) of DNA with 1 ul BamH1 (50U/uL) for 1 hr at 37 degree Celcius in a dry incubator. On running the restriction digest on a 1% agarose gel, I see no bands in the digest.

I do not know where I am going wrong. I see the plasmid band when I run the undigested DNA on a gel.

Suggestions will be really helpful.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1

Really this is a big problem.so is there any solution for that?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Banned
Points: 107, Level: 2 Points: 107, Level: 2 Points: 107, Level: 2

i agree that this is a big prob ...any solution ?

Tags
digestion , problems , restriction