Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protocols and Methods Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Protocols and Methods Forum Post Any Protocol, Method, Technique, Procedure or Tips / Troubleshooting for any Molecular Biology Technique.

lyophilization

lyophilization - Protocols and Methods Forum

lyophilization - Post Any Protocol, Method, Technique, Procedure or Tips / Troubleshooting for any Molecular Biology Technique.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: lyophilization

Hello all!!
I'm Livia, and I'm a postoc from Brazil!
I'm in USA for short period, and I was planning to buy an antibody from Hybridoma Bank. I would like to take this antibody with me to Brazil, and I was thinking to lyophilize it.
Seeing your post about lyophilization I was completely in doubt now... my advisor said that is possible to stabilize the antibody with PBS and BSA before lyophilization... have you ever tried this procedure?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculardude View Post
Hey Aftab!

I have lost very important samples with lyophilization.

Make SURE! that your sample is frozen before you lyophilize (I lyophilized a small sample and guess what? it thawed and I Lost EVERYTHING!)

Make also sure that you are under vacuum and also that you are removing liquid, not your precious proteins!

You have to concider many points before lyophilization.i.e

1. Sterility
2. Utectic temperature of your sample.
3. Freeze the sample well beyond the utectic temperature so that each molicule of the is frozen.
4. Establish and continuously monitor the vacuum.
5. Carefully dry the sample to reduce it's moisture level below 1 %.

You will not loose any thing.

Iqbal Khan
Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftabac View Post
hi
good comments, yes it is important to cool the samples first and most probably it is done with liquid nitrogen, this is very important step.

but i think there is need of some more comments so that we can optimize this process for different proteins, and also
can we use the same lyophilization procedure for different cultures for example bacterail culture or we have to follow some other way.........
Each and every sample is treated in different ways. Basically the lyophilization principles remain the same but times and temperatures very according to the chemistery of any substance.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1

would mannitol(10%) and sucrose/skim milk powder(2%) be ok mediums for lyophilization process?as Cryoprotectants and Lyoprotectants are needed. This is what im using for trial on peptides and amino acids. Correct me if im wrong

Tags
lyophilization