RE to Jim 3975 - Strong contamination with ethidium bromide
Acrylamide. I remember at least one case of a faculty who developed
paralysis of his lower limbs which was linked to acrylamide poisoning.
I knew this person sort of during my studies in India. He was a junior
level faculty in the 80s in Kerala University, in the state of kerala,
India and was routinely handling acrylamide and gels with his bare hands
and demonstrated SDS-PAGE to students. After about 10-15 years,
sometime during 1994-1996, he developed paralysis (irreversible) below
his waist. This case was well publisized in newspapers in southern
India (my mother got really worried reading that :-)), because the
doctors (I don't rememeber exactly, but I believe in his spinal cord),
discovered the presence of methylated cytosines and attributed it to
acrylamide acute poisoning.
Polymerized acrylamide may not be dangerous but not the unpolymerized
monomers still stuck on the surface. Why take the risk, when a simple
gloves and some practices like that can safeguard you. Or you may
become a guinea pig for future people to study.
From: [Only registered users see links. ]
[mailto:[Only registered users see links. ].indiana.edu] On Behalf Of DK
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 9:38 PM
To: [Only registered users see links. ]
Subject: Re: RE to Jim 3975 - Strong contamination with ethidium bromide
In article <firstname.lastname@example.org .com>,
peter <[Only registered users see links. ]> wrote:
Lotsa examples like that. It certainly never occured to me to wear
gloves when I was handling a lot of ethidium and propidium bromides some
20 years ago. No spills that I know off, though.
What's wrong with DMSO? Sure, it goes through the skin easily and all
that but on its own it is pretty harmless. The danger is there only when
handling toxins dissolved in DMSO, I think.
Half the same goes to acrylamide. When a gel is poured and handled
properly, there is zero chance to ever come in contact with it. If,
however, you accidentally spilled few ul or ml on a skin - just wash it
off right away and no harm will ever be done. Paying attention is 1000X
safer than wearing gloves (which should only be worn when contact is
either inevitable or deadly).
Methods mailing list [Only registered users see links. ] [Only registered users see links. ]
This email message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this email message from your computer. Thank you.