Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Proteomics Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Proteomics Forum Post Questions and Discuss Proteomics, Proteomic Bioinformatics, Proteomic Techniques such as 2-D, Mass Spec etc.

"crashing" with iTRAQ dissolution buffer

"crashing" with iTRAQ dissolution buffer - Proteomics Forum

"crashing" with iTRAQ dissolution buffer - Post Questions and Discuss Proteomics, Proteomic Bioinformatics, Proteomic Techniques such as 2-D, Mass Spec etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default "crashing" with iTRAQ dissolution buffer

I have peptides product extracted from SDS-PAGE gel after trypsin digestion (tiny amount). Then I try to dissolve them in the iTRAQ buffer (0.5 M TEAB, 30 uL). Whenever I bring the pH to 8.5, the solution turns to "milky". I also tried 0.5 M borate buffer and same thing happens.

I wonder what could've been wrong? In-gel digestion was done with 50 mM TEAB, and peptides were extracted with 60% ACN/5% FA, and dried out ...

Please help. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: "crashing" with iTRAQ dissolution buffer

Actually, I have often noticed precipitate in iTRAQ labeling reactions. I have never tried to resolubilize the the precipitate and analyze it so I am not sure exactly what it is. But I have tested ratios and analyzed the sample and it has never seemed to cause a problem. For instance, if only one of the four samples had a precipitate the ratios still came out as expected. And it didn't seem to effect number of IDs as I was getting similar numbers to those from unlabeled sample. My samples were always whole cell lysates FYI.

While its disconcerting to see, it might not cause you problems in the end.

Also, I would be curious to hear if anyone knows what this is and why it happens.

Cheers,

Doug

Tags
buffer , crashing , dissolution , itraq