Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Protein Science Post Questions and Discuss Protein Structure and Function, Protein Localization etc.. Please do not post Proteomic questions here, there is a Proteomic Forum below.

IGF_1 Detection

IGF_1 Detection - Protein Science

IGF_1 Detection - Post Questions and Discuss Protein Structure and Function, Protein Localization etc.. Please do not post Proteomic questions here, there is a Proteomic Forum below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 1,655, Level: 24 Points: 1,655, Level: 24 Points: 1,655, Level: 24
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default IGF_1 Detection

I tried western for IGF-1 twice, but dint find any bands. THe MW is 17.

I am unsure if there is no IGF_1 in the sample or if I should try to optmize my westerns. Is it possible that if the levels can become too low of a protein that yu might not be able to see it even in a control group? Or you should see band, atleast a light one, for wahetevr protein you look for in your tissue?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2006, 04:44 PM
M.D/Ph.D

Default Re: IGF_1 Detection

Dear Anoopbal,

Have you tried Immunoprecipitation? That way you could pull down all the IGF-1 and then do western blot on a more concentrated sample.

Also make sure you lyse in the smallest volume possible and load most of it.

Before you do all that however, I would make sure you can see IGF-1 with a control using your antibody.

cheers!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Ph.D Doctorate
Points: 4,317, Level: 44 Points: 4,317, Level: 44 Points: 4,317, Level: 44
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Location: Tabaka Mission Hospital - Kiisi -Kenya & Italy Sicily
Default Re: IGF_1 Detection

Insulin-like growth factors (IGFs) belong to a family of peptides that share a high degree of structural homology with insulin. IGFs (IGF-I and IGF-II) have important mitogenic and anabolic actions that are mediated by their binding to specific high affinity cell surface receptors. IGF-I and IGF-II are produced in multiple tissues and are present in blood and other biological fluids in association with specific high affinity IGF binding proteins (IGFBPs). For determination of IGFs it's required their dissociation from IGFBPs. Procedures for direct measurement of IGFs by sample acidification to a pH of about 2.0 to dissociate the complexes followed by neutralization to slightly alkaline pH prior to ELISA or Western blot analysis. The extraction protocol is realized using 20 Ál of EDTA-K3 whole blood spotted on filter paper disc, obtained employing two-hole (filebinder) hole punch with 5.5-6.5 diameter and dried at room temperature for 16 hrs, that must be put in polystyrene tube in which 200 Ál of extraction solution (Tris-HCl buffer 0.005 M at pH 7.0, containing 0.5 ml/L Tween-20) is added and incubate shaking at room temperature for 1 h to allow complete elution of IGF from the filter paper. To the extract is then added 200 Ál of acidification solution (glycine-HCl buffer 0.4 M at pH 2.0) and incubated as above for 30 min, and neutralized by adding 400 Ál of neutralization solution (0.1% sodium dodecylsulfate in 0.85 M of Tris). The extract is mixed for 2 min and used for IGF-I or IGF-II analysis.

Tags
detection , igf1