Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Protein Science Post Questions and Discuss Protein Structure and Function, Protein Localization etc.. Please do not post Proteomic questions here, there is a Proteomic Forum below.

homogeneity of recombinant protein dilutions

homogeneity of recombinant protein dilutions - Protein Science

homogeneity of recombinant protein dilutions - Post Questions and Discuss Protein Structure and Function, Protein Localization etc.. Please do not post Proteomic questions here, there is a Proteomic Forum below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 03:49 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 179, Level: 3 Points: 179, Level: 3 Points: 179, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Unhappy homogeneity of recombinant protein dilutions

Hi, I've been having some problems with recombinant insulin-degrading enzyme, I have tried human and rat forms in a western blot and either nothing comes up at all, or the bands come up different on the duplicates and sometimes there is more than one band. I was thinking the diluted enzyme may not be homogenous, I am diluting in water and vortexing thoroughly before pipetting however.

The last one I did, I ran 7 serial dilutions of 200ng/well, down to 3.125ng/well, and only the 200ng band came up on 3 and 5 minute exposures, and I could just see the 100 and 50ng bands (which looked the same) on an overnight exposure. I thought that 5-50ng of purified protein was the standard range for western blots.

I have tried three different lots of the human IDE, and one of rat IDE, with inconsistent results for all. My internal standard always looks fine. Can anyone help me?
Old 07-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Nobel Laureate
Points: 8,612, Level: 64 Points: 8,612, Level: 64 Points: 8,612, Level: 64

Default Re: homogeneity of recombinant protein dilutions

You have to be careful with recombinant proteins. They are usually low concentrations and in Tris or PBS. They are liable to freeze-thaw effect, cold-denaturation, pH drops (not in Tris), air-liquid & liquid-solid interphase degradation etc.

Proteins occur in Native state, Denatured state, Aggregated state.
The following equation explains the nature of the relationship:
1) Native state <===>Denatured state---->Aggregated state
Once aggregated the protein precipitates and disappears from solution and is worthless to the researcher.
The native and denatured states do have a sort of equilibrium that favors one or the other, depends on the protein and its environment (the solvent, temperature, presence of adjuvants or other proteins).

Normal precautions are to--
1) make aliquots to limit freeze-thawing
2) use soon after receiving.
3) add Tween20 to solution (~0.007%); non-ionic surfactant that protects from air-liquid interphase.
4) store in Tris, doesn't change pH with temperature.
5) store as concentrated as possible or in presence of BSA.
6) label with date of receipt, use within 1-3months.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:49 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 179, Level: 3 Points: 179, Level: 3 Points: 179, Level: 3

Default Re: homogeneity of recombinant protein dilutions

Thanks Danfive for your help, I will definitely look into adding Tween-20 and/or BSA and perhaps be a little more careful about thawing on ice. I appreciate your assistance.

Tags
dilution , dilutions , homogeneity , insulin-degrading enzyme , protein , recombinant , recombinant protein , western blot