Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Protein Science Post Questions and Discuss Protein Structure and Function, Protein Localization etc.. Please do not post Proteomic questions here, there is a Proteomic Forum below.

Does viscosity result in Ni-NTA low affinity?

Does viscosity result in Ni-NTA low affinity? - Protein Science

Does viscosity result in Ni-NTA low affinity? - Post Questions and Discuss Protein Structure and Function, Protein Localization etc.. Please do not post Proteomic questions here, there is a Proteomic Forum below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2,624, Level: 33 Points: 2,624, Level: 33 Points: 2,624, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Does viscosity result in Ni-NTA low affinity?

6xHis-Tag protein purification under denaturing conditions.
General Protocol is:
Sonicate in tris/NaCl - spin - Sonicate pellet in 2M Urea - Spin - Incubate pellet for hours in 6M GuHCl/20mM Tris/500mM NaCl/1mM b-mercaptoethanol pH 8 - spin - Filter supernatant - run filtered supernatant on Ni-NTA.

What I have been seeing for a while and just dealing with it is a very very low affinity for Ni_NTA, somewhere around 50-75mM imidazole elution.

To answer the obvious questions : yes, I have extensively evaluated the solubility and 6M GuHCl is required and the pi of the protein is around 5 and my Ni-NTA is equilibrated in the pH 8 GuHCl buffer mentioned above. According to sequencing following cloning there is a 6xHIS tag

The only thing I can think of lately is that the sample is of course still has a level of viscosity. I mean, it's not very high but still present.

Could it be that or is there just something else I am missing? I mean this is a very standard protocol.
The only thing I am not doing that many are now is on-column refolding. I wish I could but I am actually working on several proteins of the same family and some just love to aggregate on the column - I have tried.

Any ideas, opinions, comments, questions?
Thank you very much

Tags
affinity , low , ninta , result , viscosity