Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Protein Science Post Questions and Discuss Protein Structure and Function, Protein Localization etc.. Please do not post Proteomic questions here, there is a Proteomic Forum below.

Tell me about using a Nanodrop for protein quantitation

Tell me about using a Nanodrop for protein quantitation - Protein Science

Tell me about using a Nanodrop for protein quantitation - Post Questions and Discuss Protein Structure and Function, Protein Localization etc.. Please do not post Proteomic questions here, there is a Proteomic Forum below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Volunteer
Points: 1,375, Level: 21 Points: 1,375, Level: 21 Points: 1,375, Level: 21
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Tell me about using a Nanodrop for protein quantitation

I've been doing a microplate BCA assay (diluting my samples 1:100 or 1:1000) to quantitate proteins before doing Western blots, but I noticed that another lab in my building has a nanodrop. It would save me a few hours each time if I could use the nanodrop to read undiluted 2 uL samples instead of doing the BCA.

I do an acetone precipitation on all my samples and re-suspend them in plain PBS, so I believe that my proteins should be free of any contaminating substances that would absorb at 280 nm. My protein concentration is generally in the 1 - 8 mg/mL range, which I think is okay for the nanodrop?

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't use the nanodrop? I'm only hesitant because no one I know seems to use it, but it might just be because they're afraid of technology.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:12 AM
M.D/Ph.D
Points: 4,938, Level: 47 Points: 4,938, Level: 47 Points: 4,938, Level: 47

Default Re: Tell me about using a Nanodrop for protein quantitation

so have u test it yet? which model of nanodrop are u using? If you only have few samples why not use the nanodrop but is u have a lot then better use BCA assay. The best would be to have both data and u can compare which one u trust more.

nanodrap is great coz no consumable is use except tips .
Old 10-15-2009, 06:09 AM
Volunteer
Points: 1,375, Level: 21 Points: 1,375, Level: 21 Points: 1,375, Level: 21

I ran samples on both the nanodrop and the BCA assay and got very poor agreement between them, so I gave up on using the nanodrop for this purpose. The nanodrop and BCA results were often different from each other by as much as a factor of 2, probably due to other stuff still in solution after the acetone precipitation.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1

You can make a blank following the steps of acetonoe precipitation but without protein. That could help if there is something interfearing with the method. Otherwise Nanodrop has been used because lacking of calibration
Hope you save some time with nanodrop
Old 04-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

So the concentration range is going to depend on your coefficient for your protein (A=ecl) but the spec will determine the range your Abs can be in. Nanodrop isn't too good with protein since the column required to form relies on surface tension. We got the Implen NanoPhotometer just because it is not relying on surface tension so our small volume A280 for protein is great. Cuvette applications should be similar on nanodrop versus the implen system.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4

After extensive testing it appears the reproducibilty on the Nanodrop is quite poor... it doesn't work well with protein samples at all... the Implens Nanophotometer (with Hellma Traycell) came out on top by some margin. If you want some data let me know.

Tags
nanodrop , protein , quantitation