Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Protein Science Post Questions and Discuss Protein Structure and Function, Protein Localization etc.. Please do not post Proteomic questions here, there is a Proteomic Forum below.

Question regarding subcellular fractionation

Question regarding subcellular fractionation - Protein Science

Question regarding subcellular fractionation - Post Questions and Discuss Protein Structure and Function, Protein Localization etc.. Please do not post Proteomic questions here, there is a Proteomic Forum below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 1,174, Level: 19 Points: 1,174, Level: 19 Points: 1,174, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Question regarding subcellular fractionation

Hello, I have been struggling with one of this experiment for awhile and any input/suggestion is highly appreciated!

I am trying to perform subcellular fractionation to see whether my protein of interest is translocated to plasma membrane in response to different growth factors. So, this is the thing-- from literature, it seems really straight forward and easy, but I have tried different version of the protocol and none of them really worked well in my hands. I also searched through discussion posts looking for tips, but still, I can't get any result...

First question that I have is-- in order to obtain decent amount of protein for downstream immunoblotting analysis, how much cells to start with? I am using both CHO cells and COS-7 cells-- is 1x10 cm plate ~90% confluent enough??

Second, I tried with 250mM sucrose, and stepwise centrifugation (1000xg 10000xg and 100000xg), but the thing is I really don't know the visible floating white thing is normal during the first 2 centrifugation... And I hardly get any pellet after the 100000 xg step... What is going on there? Can someone who with experience let me know the exact protocol in detail so that I can practice couple times to make sure I get decent Akt translocation as a control? (so far I either get nothing, or have Akt in both - and + stimulation... which is really depressing)

Third, I also tried this sucrose cushion method-- I found one of this paper pretty much has this details... but the thing is I can't see the "interphase" which is supposed to be the plasma membrane fraction after ultracentrifugation... How come???

I really need it to work in order to graduate... Please please please...

Many thanks!

Tags
fractionation , question , subcellular