Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science > Protein Crystallography Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Protein Crystallography Forum Discuss research on protein crystallography and crystalization. Protein Crystallography Forum.

help! condensation on coverslips

help! condensation on coverslips - Protein Crystallography Forum

help! condensation on coverslips - Discuss research on protein crystallography and crystalization. Protein Crystallography Forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 185, Level: 3 Points: 185, Level: 3 Points: 185, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default help! condensation on coverslips

I need hints for preventing condensation on the cover slips for hanging drop crystallography. I've already tried setting up the whole plate in the cold room (brrrr!).
Old 03-11-2009, 04:48 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 185, Level: 3 Points: 185, Level: 3 Points: 185, Level: 3

Smile Condensation on coverslips

Hi,

Im new here. I also involve in protein crystallography.
I've tried the hanging drop method. The condensation happen because of the different of temperature in your setup well and the surrounding.. what's exactly your incubation temperature for your protein crystal?
Let say you want to perform your crystallization experiment at 4C, it can be done at room temperature as well. The samples and solutions are pre-equilibrated at 4C and crystallization tray placed on ice. When the drops have been set up, the tray is transferred to a 4C incubator or cold room. The idea is to avoid a rapid change in temperature with the sealed crystallization experiment plate. Another thing, whenever you examine your crystal drop under a microscope, do not expose your drop too long to the light, as the light can transfer the heat to your drop. This also can contribute to the condensation to occur. This problem always happen to hanging drop as the condensation drop will merge with your crystal drop.. Hope these will help..
The Following User Says Thank You to miss deane For This Useful Post:
karenneedham (03-11-2009)
Old 03-21-2009, 01:17 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 298, Level: 5 Points: 298, Level: 5 Points: 298, Level: 5

Default Re: help! condensation on coverslips

I did [Only registered users see links. ] on my blog about this exact issue, hopefully it will answer all your questions.

Tags
condensation , cover slip , coverslips , hanging drop , proyein crystallography