Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Forum > Science Careers > Post-doctoral
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post-doctoral Post and Discuss Questions about Post-doctoral (Post-Doc) Jobs, Salaries, and Opportunities.

PhD in biomedical sciences?

PhD in biomedical sciences? - Post-doctoral

PhD in biomedical sciences? - Post and Discuss Questions about Post-doctoral (Post-Doc) Jobs, Salaries, and Opportunities.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default PhD in biomedical sciences?

I've been wondering recently as to what exactly I want to do with my life and how I want to pursue my education accordingly. I've always wanted to go down the MD route, but recently I've come to realize that I like to learn more than anything and believe that research may be the right option. At the same time I want to be able to work in hospitals and help diagnose patients as well. I came across biomedical sciences one day while I was searching through the net and realized that this may fit exactly what I want to do! the question is though that if I were to pursue a PhD in biomedical sciences, what EXACTLY would I be able to do in a hospital environment? Would I have an opportunity to work in the labs, research new ways to cure illnesses, and help assists physicians in treating their patients? Or would I need to obtain a dual degree as in MD/PhD in order to do so? I'm so confused...

Btw, I'm a junior at an undergraduate university majoring in biology as a pre-medical student as of now.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Volunteer
Points: 3,427, Level: 38 Points: 3,427, Level: 38 Points: 3,427, Level: 38

Default Re: PhD in biomedical sciences?

In my country this is almost impossible and I think it is better to be good MD or good scienstist and not half this and half that. This what we noticed as scientists (I am PhD student at medical university) is that MDs coming to us, trying to do some research are unexperienced and have no idea how to work in lab. They have no skills. This is how it looks in here. They are always a burden and their PhD thesis are pitiful (I have no idea how they obtain the degree). Anyway I don't say it is impossible, because it would be truly amazing to be a MD and to discover the molecular basis, paths, anything, in the field you treat people.
As I said I work in hospital department, but I am molecular biologist so I am not MD and I don't cure patients. I am here to help in setting new standard of treatment and to answer basic questions. In my case the one is- why dialyzed people get so many infections. The only contact with patients I have is taking legal permission from them and working on their blood. This is how it looks.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Summer Student
Points: 246, Level: 4 Points: 246, Level: 4 Points: 246, Level: 4

Default ベルスタッフ アウトレット

■[

■[

■[

Tags
biomedical , biomedicine , degree , medicine , phd , science , sciences , study