Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Forum > Science Careers > Post-doctoral
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post-doctoral Post and Discuss Questions about Post-doctoral (Post-Doc) Jobs, Salaries, and Opportunities.

Laboratory Director of Cytogenetics

Laboratory Director of Cytogenetics - Post-doctoral

Laboratory Director of Cytogenetics - Post and Discuss Questions about Post-doctoral (Post-Doc) Jobs, Salaries, and Opportunities.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 3,898, Level: 41 Points: 3,898, Level: 41 Points: 3,898, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Laboratory Director of Cytogenetics

ABMG certified Laboratory Director of Cytogenetics positions (MA & NJ)

(2) Director of Cytogenetics positions are open with clinical reference laboratory: one in Massachusetts and one in New Jersey. Our client is looking for PhD degreed, ABMG-certified or Board Eligible Clinical Cytogeneticists to review and sign out cases, ensuring that interpretations and final results are accurate, and communicating cytogenetic laboratory results to medical genetics professionals. Individual will work with other clinicians and laboratory professional staff to maintain standards and provide quality assurance, and be available for consultation or educational speaking engagements.

In addition, the role requires remaining current with testing procedures, making recommendations as appropriate, maintaining competency by participating in proficiency tests, being up to date on professional certifications, and continuing to publish and attend meetings.

Required for these opportunities are the ability to supervise and direct the operations of a clinical cytogenetic diagnostic laboratory, technical expertise and knowledge in quality control and assessment procedures; broad knowledge in human cytogenetics with a focus on cancer, and strong diagnostic and interpretive skills. Must be able to understand and apply established principles, theories and concepts to all areas of responsibility and have extensive scientific knowledge of cytogenetic applications of clinical genetics. More senior-level candidates will have significant experience in case review and result interpretation for a variety of genetic disorders with corresponding understanding of the clinical bases of those disorders.

Our client is offering a highly competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, relocation, and the opportunity to work in a fine laboratory environment.

We are part of a national search firm focused on the genetic laboratory sectors. Our clients nationwide are premier laboratories with the latest in equipment and teams of valued professionals.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:29 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1

Default Re: Laboratory Director of Cytogenetics

Re: Application for Cytogenetics Lab Director in NY and MA

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am interested in the cytogenetics lab director position in MA or NY. I have trained in clinical cytogenetics and currently I am training in clinical molecular genetics and will be done by end of August 2010.

The combined training I am currently doing in clinical cytogenetics and molecular genetics gave me the chance to collect experience in three different areas:

1. Clinical Cytogenetics And Clinical Molecular Genetics:
I have rotated in all cytogenetics sections (prenatal, post-natal, cancer, tissues and FISH) and learnt a lot. Few months after I started my training in cytogenetics I took over the task of presenting abnormal cases at our weekly meeting with our clinical geneticists colleagues. This gave me better understanding of those cases through discussions with my mentor Dr. Curtis and with the clinical geneticists. In addition, I did one-week rotation in microarray lab at Children Hospital in Columbus and we will be offering microarray service very soon in our lab. In addition, I did our internal CAP inspection in 2007 and I will be doing it for this year as well.
Training in molecular genetics is a great addition to clinical cytogenetics since both fields overlap and complement each other significantly. With the experience in monogenic disorders that I collected during my PhD work, experience in complex disorders that I gained during my post-doctoral fellowship and the experience in both clinical cytogenetics and clinical molecular genetics I am acquiring now, I have obtained powerful tools to be able to deal with all kinds of genetic abnormalities whether chromosomal, or monogenic or complex disorders.
2.Teaching activities:
In 2009 I co-taught a portion of clinical cytogenetics course to residents in pediatrics genetics, medicine genetics and genetic counseling students.
Also in 2009, I was one of the clinical instructors who taught clinical genetics to first-year medical students in a mid-size group format.
I was a lab instructor and taught clinical biochemistry and biochemistry to undergraduate students at the Faculty of Pharmacy, Damascus University during the years 1994-1995.
3. Clinical research activities:
I did narrow down deletion breakpoints for one interesting case with novel deletion that was discovered by microarray technique. I used both FISH and molecular techniques by examining multiple BACs and over 80 SNPs in the patient and her parents and was able to narrow down the deletion breakpoints to around 20kb on each side. This shows the beauty of having skills in both clinical cytogenetics and molecular genetics and illustrates the need for skills in both specialties. I have prepared a manuscript where I am the corresponding author. The MS is in its final version and we will submit it soon for publication.
In addition to my clinical training in clinical molecular genetics, I am currently developing gene tests for 5 genes two of which have reached the final stages and have been submitted for department review and approval.

For more comprehensive details on my qualifications, please refer to my attached resume’. One last thing I would like to clarify is that I could not take the ABMG exam in 2009 in cytogenetics, although I wanted to, because I started my training in September 2007. ABMG requires that trainees should have completed two full years of training by end of July 2009 in order to be eligible for the ABMG exam in 2009. However, I am planning to take the ABMG in both specialities in 2011.

I will be glad to review my qualfications with you in more details and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Looking forward to meeting with you soon,

Hussam Al-Kateb

Hussam Al-Kateb, PhD (Clinical Cytogenetics and Molecular Genetics Fellow)

Case Western Reserve University

10524 Euclid Avenue , Walker Bldg. 6th Floor

Cleveland , Ohio 44106

Tel: 216-983-1138

E-mail: [Only registered users see links. ]
Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1

Default Re: Laboratory Director of Cytogenetics

sir, i m interested for postdoc in plant molecular biotechnology------in usa. kindly suggest me few names of worker and labs of this leading field. with thanks--DR. AWADHESH

Tags
cytogenetics , director , laboratory