PICTURE---WHAT SOME CALL INTELLIGENCE.
Wow. All federal agencies will be linked together in a vast intelligence
network. Handheld fingerprint devices will be deployed. Obviously.
They are working around the limitations Congress wanted on NCIC 2000.
And how much hardware is a handheld fingerprint device?
* "Lucent in New Identification Joint Venture"
* The New York Times, 5/22/97
* Lucent Technologies [Bell Labs is their research and development arm] and
* U.S. Venture Partners said today that they had formed a company that would
* make products to help people prove their identities through electronic
* fingerprinting technology.
* The first product of the company, Veridicom Inc., will be a postage-size
* fingerprint sensor used to retrieve information, authorize purchases or
* allow entry into restricted areas.
* The postage-size sensor will measure the ridges and valleys on the skin
* when a finger is pressed against a silicon chip, and then check the
* measurements against the user's profile.
Not big at all, is it?
# "Faster, More Accurate Fingerprint Matching"
# By Andrea Adelson, The New York Times, October 11 1992
# "We think there will be a revolution in fingerprinting," said David F.
# Nemecek, a deputy for the FBI's Information Service Division.
# The next step is for manufacturers to make a single-finger