Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Forum > Science Careers > Ph.D Doctor of Philosophy
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ph.D Doctor of Philosophy Discuss and post questions about the Ph.D Doctor of Philosophy degree. Where to apply, positions and openings, salary, and recommended labs.

Quitting PhD?

Quitting PhD? - Ph.D Doctor of Philosophy

Quitting PhD? - Discuss and post questions about the Ph.D Doctor of Philosophy degree. Where to apply, positions and openings, salary, and recommended labs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Quitting PhD?

Hello all. I am considering quitting my PhD. Well, let me rephrase, not so much that I want to quit, but it's just that I can't take it any more. I have no idea what I would do otherwise; it's just that every day has become an excruciating struggle that I want to end. I read somewhere that talking to someone who has quit would give you some useful perspective. So.. anyone?
Then again, if you've quit, you probably won't be posting on a biology forum.
And to specify, without giving away too many identifying details, I am in my mid-twenties in a PhD program in the US, so I am most interested in communicating with people who have quit PhD programs in the US, and to know what you're doing now, and how you feel about your decision, and also, are you happy now?
Reply here or send me a private message if you are willing to talk to me about this.
Thanks.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Quitting PhD?

Hey there,
sorry to hear about your issues during your Ph.D. During mine, I thought of quitting many times but you have to figure out what is bothering you

1) is it the interpersonal relationships or lack thereof?
2) is your supervisor or demands?
3) do you really want to be a supervisor, or get in the field?
4) are you almost finished, just started or in the middle?

Just a few questions, personally I would stick it through and finish it if in middle, or almost done. If you just started, maybe try to find a solution - fix the issue, change supervisors, or get into another program, or job before you quit.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:34 AM
Nobel Laureate
Points: 8,612, Level: 64 Points: 8,612, Level: 64 Points: 8,612, Level: 64

Hey on the brightside: you are in your mid-twenties and in a PhD program.
Most mid-twentysomethings are not there, they are stuck in a holding pattern or just weeded out.

Do what is best for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to danfive For This Useful Post:
admin (02-19-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Post-Doc
Points: 2,383, Level: 31 Points: 2,383, Level: 31 Points: 2,383, Level: 31

Without additional details of why you cannot take it anymore, it is hard to comment. A few other options you may want to consider:

1) Move to another lab in your department. This may allow you to finish you PhD without loosing the time you've put in.

2) If inter-personal issues or your boss are the problem, consider seeking assistance with your uni's conflict-resolution office (or whatever it is called in your uni). Keep in mind that harassment, hostile work environments, etc, are generally illegal (or at least open the uni upto the risk of a lawsuit), and your uni will bend over backwards to resolve the issue - if only to protect their legal a$$.

3) If its project-related issues, talk to your supervisor about changing to a project you find more interesting/fruitful.

And, contrary to what others may say, quitting is not necessarily a bad thing. The types of careers a PhD sets you up for is not for everyone - there is no point pursuing a degree that you'll either not use, or which put you into a career you hate. Life is too short to hate you job...

Like Dan said, do what is best for you.

Bryan
admin (02-19-2011)

Tags
phd , quitting