Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Forum > Science Careers > Ph.D Doctor of Philosophy
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ph.D Doctor of Philosophy Discuss and post questions about the Ph.D Doctor of Philosophy degree. Where to apply, positions and openings, salary, and recommended labs.

Help me decide wheter or not to go in grad school

Help me decide wheter or not to go in grad school - Ph.D Doctor of Philosophy

Help me decide wheter or not to go in grad school - Discuss and post questions about the Ph.D Doctor of Philosophy degree. Where to apply, positions and openings, salary, and recommended labs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 1,972, Level: 27 Points: 1,972, Level: 27 Points: 1,972, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Help me decide wheter or not to go in grad school

I dropped out of a PhD program (my advisor was somewhat abusive), and now, two years after, I have a chance to go back to another school, to another continent to finish it.
Should I do it? I want to stay in research; I enjoy this field. I know: if you want responsibility, and greater choices in research, you must have a PhD. I'm not sure if I want to have my own lab, though, and anyway, it's about 1 out of 9 graduates who get to have their own tenured positions, so I don't know what the other 8 does.
So what are the other opportunities with a doctorate, if not a tenure? Where else can you use it? What else can you do with it? I need to ask as any people as I can before I decide to spend three more years of my life getting it.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 626, Level: 12 Points: 626, Level: 12 Points: 626, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: Help me decide wheter or not to go in grad school

Hey,

My personal opinion (and it is very important to not make someone else's opinion as your own) is that researching in science is what I like to do and so I'm going to do it.

It's grueling quite often, and it may not be what I'm best at....however something has drawn me to it...taking a crack at the "puzzle" of life...I think that is probably what is occuring with you as well...if you are questioning coming back to it after having all that experience then it's probably what you want to be doing deep down - and this fact is not trivial.

I too would be interested to hear about what else can be done with a PhD.

Tags
decide , grad , school , wheter