Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum

Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/)
-   Ph.D Doctor of Philosophy (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/ph-d-doctor-philosophy/)
-   -   Ph.D Number of Published Papers (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/ph-d-doctor-philosophy/123-ph-d-number-published-papers.html)

JinJinO 06-26-2006 09:06 PM

Ph.D Number of Published Papers

I am wondering what is the average (recommended) number of papers which should be published before completion of a Ph.D Doctorate?

is it 3 or more? t

thnx i need to know so when i get into the Ph.D i will know how many to do!:laugh:

aftabac 06-28-2006 12:39 PM

Re: Ph.D Number of Published Papers

Hi dear
In Pakistan in order to have a PhD degree you must have at least 3 publication in well recognized international journals with a good impact factor.

aftab

oBWhat 07-02-2006 07:08 PM

Yes 3 publications seems to be the average everywhere

Priyanka 01-18-2008 10:34 AM

My supervisor says 6 pubs however.. practically 3 is the average!!

Nasiara 12-30-2008 09:51 AM

Does that necessarily be as first author or second or what else?
Should the 3 papers be from the PhD work or any thing else is acceptible?

Aga 12-30-2008 10:09 AM

I've never asked how many publications one have to have in our country for PhD. My supervisor says 5-6 would be good as far as my PhD is concerned, not necessarily connected to my PhD work, since we do many additional research.

But looking at others works 3 good publications is usually enough. There are various situations at my University though - some people have 6, some 12 and some 3. Those with many publications not necessarily published them in good journals, so I guess a lot depends on your supervisor or yourself.

aftabac 10-15-2010 08:51 PM

Mostly it is said that you should be first author in 3 publication and it should be your PhD work.

best regards

Aga 10-15-2010 10:41 PM

Well, at my Uni it seems to be somehow weird sometimes...

One should have at least 3 good publications, but they should not be very much connected to your PhD work , just slightly, because you should not publish your results before you publish your PhD (at least the result published before your PhD must not be similar to the results presented in your PhD).
And autoplagiarism is strictly prohibited and may result in PhD withdrawal...

Therefore everyone is cautious.

BTeske 11-02-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JinJinO (Post 267)
I am wondering what is the average (recommended) number of papers which should be published before completion of a Ph.D Doctorate?

is it 3 or more? t

thnx i need to know so when i get into the Ph.D i will know how many to do!:laugh:

I think that publishing 1 Cell, Science, Nature. 1-2 MCB, JBC or similiar would be sufficient. I think as long as the work is solid you could graduate with less than 3 papers.

Warthaug 11-02-2010 03:22 PM

More is generally better, although one high-impact is usually seen as better than a handful of low-impact. To graduate, most uni's require that you have 2-3 publications for a PhD.

I had 13 publications from my PhD.

Bryan