Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum

Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/)
-   Peptide Forum (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/peptide-forum/)
-   -   c-peptide question (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/peptide-forum/85137-c-peptide-question.html)

ksue12 04-14-2012 01:48 PM

c-peptide question

Is a meal-induced c-peptide of 21 ng/ml ever a normal finding? Is it slightly high or very high?

Zagami 04-19-2012 08:55 AM

Re: c-peptide question

Blood for analysis is collected in fasting?, but if you eat before a rich breakfast well is possible. For normal range see you : [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

ksue12 04-20-2012 01:07 PM

Thanks. This was taken during a mixed meal test. When the c-peptide went up to 21 ng/dl, my insulin was 170 uUI/ml and glucose 171 mg/ml. I then dropped to a glucose of 58, 57 and 66. I was ultimately wondering if I was producing more than the average person who has a glucose go up to 171 during the test. I get hypoglycemia on a daily basis just from eating, even though I don't eat or drink hardly any sugar.

Zagami 04-26-2012 10:24 AM

For to give exhaustive answer it is necessary
First : single value of parameters has to be express in correct way (f.i.: ng/ml) according to analysis report;
Second : base levels for each parameters;
Third : start, halfway and final times, in hours, from meal test and correspondents parameters values for each blood collection.
Give if is possible brief history of your body conditions.

ksue12 04-27-2012 02:00 PM

I had a mixed meal test as follows:

glucose(70-100) insulin(2.6-24.9) c-peptide(1.1-4.4)

glucose insulin c-peptide
mg/dl uIU/ml ng/dl

fasting 89 7.3 2.2

30 min 125 68.2 7.5

1 hour 163 138 16.3

1.5 hour 179 171.9 21.3

2 hour 119 86.8 18.4

2.5 hour 75 26.8 11.6

3 hour 58 14.1 7.4

3.5 hour 57 11.7 5.5

4 hour 66 7.2 4.1

4.5 hour 74 4.5 3.2

5 hour 81 7.8 2.9

I put these in nice columns, so if, when I press "post" it looks scrambled, sorry! Anyway, I have a 20 year history of low blood sugar, and it would happen daily if I don't eat every two hours. After looking at these mixed meal results, it doesn't matter that I take in protein with carbs and fat, I just still put out alot of insulin. I would like to note that at home, after a meal with some carbs, I can go up to 125 only, and still crash into the 50s or 40s. I would literally have to eat protein only to not have a crash. But, I have fasted overnight and tested my glucose at 5 a.m. and it was 55.

I just have not found a study that shows people's c-peptide going into the 20s.
I just wonder it is abnormal.

Zagami 04-28-2012 04:12 PM

Dear
From the data a hypoglycemia after meal is evident, due at a deficit in the liver clearance of the insulin excess. This determines a prolongation hypoglycemized action of the insulin secreted by your pancreas after the meal, that is cause of the hypoglycemia and the necessity to resorts at frequent meals. Such affirmation is derived from the analysis of the CIMR (see you enclosed fig.) that show as in the first phase, after the meal, the behaviour of the curve is superimposable to the normal subjects, while it's missing in clearing phase that it coincides with the times of liver removal that is totally absent, even if an attempt is verified toward the 210 mins. (3,5 hrs). This justifies the fact that your diet has to be more possible carbohydrates-free. I think that the mixed meal test, probably by 550 kals (48.3% carbohydrates, 26% lipids, 21.7% proteins and 4% non nourishing factors) can be a good to clear the way for to study personalized diet that also it respect your physical activity (job/sport). Attention please to the alcoholic and beer and to possible overweight. I is to your disposition for possible further explanations
Good luck
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Zagami 04-28-2012 04:13 PM

Dear
From the data a hypoglycemia after meal is evident, due at a deficit in the liver clearance of the insulin excess. This determines a prolongation hypoglycemized action of the insulin secreted by your pancreas after the meal, that is cause of the hypoglycemia and the necessity to resorts at frequent meals. Such affirmation is derived from the analysis of the CIMR (see you enclosed fig.) that show as in the first phase, after the meal, the behaviour of the curve is superimposable to the normal subjects, while it's missing in clearing phase that it coincides with the times of liver removal that is totally absent, even if an attempt is verified toward the 210 mins. (3,5 hrs). This justifies the fact that your diet has to be more possible carbohydrates-free. I think that the mixed meal test, probably by 550 kals (48.3% carbohydrates, 26% lipids, 21.7% proteins and 4% non nourishing factors) can be a good to clear the way for to study personalized diet that also it respect your physical activity (job/sport). Attention please to the alcoholic and beer and to possible overweight. I is to your disposition for possible further explanations
Good luck
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

ksue12 04-28-2012 11:09 PM

Thank you. Over the last 2 years, I have lost 35 lbs., and am now only about 15 lbs. overweight. After I lost the weight, I still do not have any better control over the insulin surge. Last week I ate mostly proteins with fats and small amounts of carbs, and had fasting glucose at 71-73 mg/dl. I just was wondering if my insulin and c-peptide are what type 2 diabetics put out, or like what people with insulinoma put out. I fit the profile more of a person with an insulinoma than a diabetic.

Zagami 05-01-2012 10:59 AM

Pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes, is characterized by the combination among peripheral insulin-resistance and reduced ability to secrete insulin from beta-cells; in the majority pre-diabetes phase the first apparent anomaly is the insulin-resistance, that precedes the intolerance to the glucose. Initially, the pancreas looks for of to compensate the insulin-resistance increasing the production and secretion of insulin; when such compensation is not more possible, it has the onset of the real diabetes. This condition is present, such as above said, both in first phase of type 2 diabetes, in insulin autoimmune hypoglycemia (IAH or Hirata Syndrome), that may be confused with an insulinoma or other cause of hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia. In insulinoma, insulin serum value remains high with peak in 2 hrs after meal, and following decrement without it ever reenters in the normal values, remaining from 2 to 3 times beyond to high normal range. For you I think a hypoglycemia type 1 (Relative Hypoglycemia) which following ingestion of glucose the blood sugar level rises unusually high (due to insulin resistance) and then suddenly drops. The rate of descent should be over 2.6 mmol/L (45 mg/dl) in any hour, or over 1.6 mmol/L (30 mg/dl) in any 30 mins. This situation can be reduced by means diet consisting in frequent small meals low in carbohydrate contained (glycerine drink), together with alpha-glucosidase inhibitor (acarbose) to reduce postprandial hyperglycemia and the stimulus to insulin secretion and further association with 15 mg/day pioglitazone.
Let me know also in private way ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...])