Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum. Discuss and ask questions about PCR troubleshooting, PCR protocols and methods, PCR products, and PCR theory.

How do you lay out your PCR plates?

How do you lay out your PCR plates? - PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum

How do you lay out your PCR plates? - PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum. Discuss and ask questions about PCR troubleshooting, PCR protocols and methods, PCR products, and PCR theory.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default How do you lay out your PCR plates?

When doing qRT-PCR, is it better to run each gene (housekeeping, and one or more experimental genes plus NTCs) on a 96 well plate and maybe only be able to fit six subjects on that plate or is it better to run one gene per plate but fit on all your subjects?

I've heard of people doing it both ways, but it seems more convenient if you run one gene per plate you can use the same housekeeping data over and over again without having to run it in parallel with every new transcript you decide to analyze. I am starting a PCR experiment and I want to make sure I lay my plates out properly.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 799, Level: 15 Points: 799, Level: 15 Points: 799, Level: 15

Default Re: How do you lay out your PCR plates?

Definitely run one one gene per plate. If you run many genes but fewer samples per plate, you need to to interplate calibration on many plates, which can end up being a nightmare.
The Following User Says Thank You to sunglassesatnight For This Useful Post:
admin (08-04-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 05:15 AM
Volunteer
Points: 231, Level: 4 Points: 231, Level: 4 Points: 231, Level: 4

I did several plates for 1 gene due to the number of samples and replicates for that experiment including interplate control as calibrator without any nightmare. Main reason is the software i use for analysis of the expression- qBase plus software programme. The software auto-calibrates the variation in different plates. alternatively, you can manually adjust the Ct values of your interplate controls so that they have similar Ct values for each plate.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 799, Level: 15 Points: 799, Level: 15 Points: 799, Level: 15

Yes JennYeap you are right. I have also used multiple plates because of large sample size, but without qbase. It's not difficult when you have to calibrate between two or even three plates, but if you have 30 samples on different plates, it quickly turns into a gongshow of interplate calibration madness.

Tags
lay , pcr , plates